MacKenzie

Shawarma-Spice Chicken

A new to me recipe but it sounded good so here it is- but

before I start here is the first ripe Tiny Tim tomato from my plant. You can see the thick juice holding the 2 halves together at the bottom.

First Tiny Tim Tomato.jpg

First Tiny Tim Tomato.jpg

Marinated the boneless skinless chicken thighs in the sauce and vacuumed sealed for a few hours before putting them on the grill.

On the grill-

Chicken Thighs.jpg

Chicken Thighs.jpg

Cooked at 300-325F until the internal temp said they were done.

Cooked Chicken Thighs.jpg

Cooked Chicken Thighs.jpg

Earlier in the day I made up the yogurt-tahini sauce, and the salad.

Yogurt Tahini Sauce.jpg   Salad for Shawarma.jpg

Yogurt Tahini Sauce.jpgSalad for Shawarma.jpg

For the last 5 mins. of the cook I had the homemade pita wrapped in foil and on the grill.

Slice the chicken.

Sliced Thighs.jpg

Sliced Thighs.jpg

Now for the build-

Loading Pita.jpg
Loading Pita.jpg

Salad Added.jpg

Plated and I rolled it up and ate it that way messy as it was.:)

All Dressed.jpg

Up Close.

Chicken Shawarma CloseUp.jpg

All Dressed.jpg

Chicken Shawarma CloseUp.jpg

I used this recipe with some modifications, just used the ingredients I had. Mostly changed the veggies for the salad and I also didn't have any mint. 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shawarma-spiced-chicken-pita-with-tahini-yogurt-sauce?mbid=nl_07302016_weekly_TT%20(1)&CNDID=28466820&spMailingID=9272683&spUserID=MTEwOTY4NzYwOTE0S0&spJobID=962300905&spReportId=OTYyMzAwOTA1S0

• Like 3

Tomato looks awesome. I had my first off my plants tonight with my dinner salad. OK, a bit watery, but lots of others in various stages on the plants to look forward to! 

You put that broccolini in there just to mess with me, didn't you, MacKenzie! :smt018

Has anyone done a true shawarma on their KK - stacked the chicken pieces onto a vertical rod??

Thanks, Shuley. By mistake I added double the amount of cayenne pepper that the recipe called for but it turned to be just the right amount for my tastes.:)

I'm also a fan of cayenne heat. Unfourtunately, I have to scale it back a bit for my kiddos but I bet once they are older they will like heat more.

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Mtroo, thank you very much. :) The chicken thighs are in the top half of a broiler pan that came with the toaster oven. I didn't want a solid pan so used only the part with the slits in the bottom. 

Ahhh...   Thanks. 

Edited by Mtroo