churchi

Forum Skin Upgraded | 2016-08-29 | IPB: 4.1.14.2

Update on the slow loads of the KK forum: after some testing, it seems that the forum really bogs down if my browser window is on the wide side. I can’t exactly quantify this, but it seems that if the browser is wider than 900 pixels or so, it loads very slowly, or times out. 

The current version of the theme seems to load stuff in a sidebar on the right hand side once the browser is wider than that 900 pixels or so I referred to. When the browser is narrow, that sidebar doesn’t show up, and the forum seems to load normally.

Thanks for all the time you have spent on trying to nut out the issue @wilburpan I really appreciate it. Thats helped to narrow it down. Does this only happen on the main page or throughout the whole forum?

I cant seem to reproduce the same slowness issues you guys are seeing. As you can see from a few posts above i did test on a few different devices and i had no issues.

I wonder now if its to do with the right hand side menu like you have advised about. It could be to do with the skin or to do with the forum upgrade.

Ill post a support ticket on the IPS forums shortly and see if i can get some help on it as im stuck on this issue and dont have many more options for me to fix it from my side. We may have to wait on a new maintenance release of the forum software to see if that fixed up the slowness.

All i can suggest for the moment is to go back to the old skin for the people who are affected. I am sorry about the pain here, just dont know what else to do for you guys that are affected.

If i have another update ill write back.

15 hours ago, churchi said:

Thanks for all the time you have spent on trying to nut out the issue @wilburpan I really appreciate it. Thats helped to narrow it down. Does this only happen on the main page or throughout the whole forum?

I cant seem to reproduce the same slowness issues you guys are seeing. As you can see from a few posts above i did test on a few different devices and i had no issues.

I wonder now if its to do with the right hand side menu like you have advised about. It could be to do with the skin or to do with the forum upgrade.

For me, the slowdown happens on all pages. If I narrow up the browser window so that the right hand menu disappears, all pages load quickly.

Right now, however, the forum seems to be behaving well. Maybe this is a server issue?

Hi All,

I have noticed there is an update to the skin on the developers site today. I will install this over the next few hours. It states there is some updated for Java Scripts and especially on the mobile devices. Hopefully this fixed the slow loading issues.

Ill update once i have had a chance to upload the new skin.

Thanks for your patience on this.

• Like 1

Seems to be working well for me. Stalled out Javascripts could certainly explain the behavior I was seeing. Without knowing the code at all, my bet is that when my browser window is wider, the widgets on the right side loaded up Javascripts that were behaving badly. If my screen was narrower, those items didn’t load, so no problems.