churchi

Chipped around the lid of my 32". Quick question about it

Hi All,

I was using my rotti basket the other night and when i took the basket out (it was a bit tight as the steel had expanded a few mm during the cook, and it was super hot), i accidentally chipped around the edge of my KK. Its the black looking paint/sealant around the edge of the KK.

I dont think it will harm or hurt the cooking on my KK and i have cooked on it since, however i was wondering do i need to get some more of the black lid sealant to fix up the hole? I will attach a pic of the issue below. I want to fix it up if required before it may get any worse.

Also dose anyone know if we get something to fix it up with (if it needs to be) in the spare kit we get from @DennisLinkletter? Or what would be the best to repair it if i want to.

Thank you.

57c104c3d879d_2016-08-2614.54.58.jpg.3fa359c49a5bc45fbc62941585cd30fc_cleaned.jpg

This is completely cosmetic.  Basically color added so the lip is not splotchy grey. The lip is traditional grout bonded with a process using a heat gun.. I'd explore rubbing dark grunge from the wall of your grill into it. If it was darker it would not stand out and then it would just be a texture difference.  It's doubtful the repair will look any better.. 

• Like 3

Mine is older, and has more of that going on. I don't worry. If you get significant leaking, fires not going out, that's time to worry. This isn't that.

That upper surface has nothing to do with sealing the KK. Depending on your particular unit the dome might not even sit down perfectly flush on that upper surface. The silicone gasket is where the sealing is.
Like Dennis said that is all cosmetic. I have a few chips and a few cracks across the upper surface on both my KK's. Hasn't effected anything.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

The silicone gasket is where the sealing is.

Yes, the chipping shown is cosmetic. I also experienced chipping which caused my gasket to come partway loose, get caught while closing the lid, leading to leaks and fires not going out, good charcoal wasted. The same chipping, cosmetic or functional depending on location. And my older KK has a slightly different rim geometry, one can't make assumptions.

I was being terse, to avoid spelling out my problems, but the connection I implied is entirely on topic. Lid rim degeneration can be cosmetic or functional, depending on location.

After getting advice from Dennis which matched my earlier experience with a different cooker, I used the highest grade of auto parts store "gasket maker" to glue my gasket back down. It has held so far...

On 8/27/2016 at 1:18 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

This is completely cosmetic.  Basically color added so the lip is not splotchy grey. The lip is traditional grout bonded with a process using a heat gun.. I'd explore rubbing dark grunge from the wall of your grill into it. If it was darker it would not stand out and then it would just be a texture difference.  It's doubtful the repair will look any better.. 

Cheers thanks for the reply @DennisLinkletter

I thought it could be just cosmetic however i thought it was best to ask. Hearing from the replies i think it was a great chance to explain that to all the users here.

Much appreciated as well are all the other suggestions too.

Ill take the advice to colour it black with some soot/grunge.

Simple ideas to fix issues. I like it.

cheers.

I was just using one of the flat SS plates from the basket splitter as a fixed/edge/blade to chop up two boxes of coco char and the edge sitting on the lip of the grill had a chunk missing after 50 wacks from the coco logs..  ARGH if this was a new 32" I would have cried.. will post image 2morrow

There is no escaping physics.. your grill will expand when heated. The hairline cracks in the grout are indications of where this is taking place. Nothing to worry about at all.  Impossible for these to grow into structural cracks that would affect the structural integrity of your grill.  If you would like anything please send a note to Customer Service @ Komodo Kamado.com

7 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

There is no escaping physics.. your grill will expand when heated. The hairline cracks in the grout are indications of where this is taking place. Nothing to worry about at all.  Impossible for these to grow into structural cracks that would affect the structural integrity of your grill.  If you would like anything please send a note to Customer Service @ Komodo Kamado.com

Dennis i think you should patent your cant escape physics line lol 

Ok so just so i am not confused you are saying grout and the hair line cracks are on lip of my grill  which is the refractory not grout 

If there is patch or whatever for this i would like some thanks 

16 hours ago, Stile88 said:

Dennis i think you should patent your cant escape physics line lol 

Ok so just so i am not confused you are saying grout and the hair line cracks are on lip of my grill  which is the refractory not grout 

If there is patch or whatever for this i would like some thanks 

The paper thin cosmetic traditional black grout coating on the lip is not flexible and tears as the dense refractory material it's sitting on expands.  I believe we made up some repair kits when this post started let me check and see if it's on the container that is on the water.  But filling the tears/cracks will not prevent them from opening next time your grill gets super heated.  

BTW all grills move the same amount.. some will create 15 micro tears that all add up to X others might have 7 that all add up to X and other might have 2 large ones that add up to X.  You will get X movement at x temp.. how it presents itself is different with each grill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

The paper thin cosmetic traditional black grout coating on the lip is not flexible and tears as the dense refractory material it's sitting on expands.  I believe we made up some repair kits when this post started let me check and see if it's on the container that is on the water.  But filling the tears/cracks will not prevent them from opening next time your grill gets super heated.  

BTW all grills move the same amount.. some will create 15 micro tears that all add up to X others might have 7 that all add up to X and other might have 2 large ones that add up to X.  You will get X movement at x temp.. how it presents itself is different with each grill.

Thanks for explanation when you are talking super heated are you talking about temps over 500 or 600 cause i havent been past 500 except for burn in

I get what you are saying but i still want the kit so send it to me when you get these thanks