Pequod

Question on Configuration for Pizza

Going to attempt my first KK pizza soon. Looking at the pics of folks' pizza cooks, it looks like nobody uses the deflector below the pizza stone in any way? In my KJ I would configure as shown here, with the deflector on the main grate just below the stone. What's the "standard" configuration in the KK?

IMG_1268.jpg

Pizza stone on upper grate no deflector below.
I get my KK fully heat soaked at the temp I want (45-60 minutes) then I'll put my stone in. The temp will drop. I leave the vents alone and the temperature will slowly climb back up. Once it gets to the temp again (about another hour) I know the stone is fully heat soaked and ready to go.
Dennis's baking stones are really thick and take some time to heat soak properly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah one thing if I can add.  Remove the clamp Norge tel tru therm. When you close the rod will hit the stone likely.  

I gently pull the therm up when I close the lid.  Then place back in.  This avoids me bending the therm rod when claiming lid shut.  

Also I find with the heat soak that the stone gets heated up well allowing me to polar lower temp.  I now cook pizza at 550 and deep dish 475 with great results.  

• Like 2