John A

Just getting started

NOVA=Fairfax County, so you're about 2 hours away. Close enough. Unless ordering with your KK, charcoal ships by the palette in order to keep shipping costs down to a reasonable fraction of the total cost. That's a LOT of charcoal, so makes sense to share an order when the time comes. Don't know if there are other Virginians around (thought I saw one but can't remember who), but can include others too to make it reasonable. 

10 hours ago, 5698k said:

Seems like not too long ago we were talking about the drip pan that comes with the grills, and Dennis said it was a serving tray. Anybody else remember that?

Rob

I took his meaning as - it is an 'off the shelf' serving tray that he includes as a drip pann. I remember that post and shortly after, he had a post that showed what was included with each grill. Drip pan was on the list, but serving tray was not.

Either way, it is a piece of art.

Yes, I don't believe Dennis called it a serving tray but the moment I saw it in my bundle it looked so pretty that I couldn't figure out what it was and thought it must be a serving tray. Someone corrected me and said it was a heat deflector. I've used it as a heat deflector and now can no longer call it a serving tray. :)  That just goes to show you how good the things are that Dennis  includes in every shipment. :) You are so right cschaaf, it is a piece of art.:smt023 :smt023

Edited by MacKenzie

Welcome to the Club.  I like your line, "A Diamond beside a Calm" and that is the difference between the KK and any other Kamado/Cooker.  LIke the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".  It's a shame a lot of people don't look at quality before quantity or price.  Always looking for the best price doesn't produce the best results.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions and friendly comments. Tiny fish I hope your right. I'm getting a little nervous. It's been a week and still no tracking info. Hopefully everything is ok with my order. I'm sure I'll forget all about it when it's finally sitting at my doorstep. 

34 minutes ago, John A said:

Thanks again for all your great suggestions and friendly comments. Tiny fish I hope your right. I'm getting a little nervous. It's been a week and still no tracking info. Hopefully everything is ok with my order. I'm sure I'll forget all about it when it's finally sitting at my doorstep. 

I think things are probably on schedule. I received mine after about a week and a half and was notified a couple of days before delivery as to the expected time. 

Start with a pork shoulder or ribs (or both). Both are forgiving and relatively inexpensive. They will give you a chance to get to know your new cooker without the worry of screwing up something expensive. For the burn in, steaks are always great. I did the burn in and steaks for my first cook, but in retrospect, I wish I would've done a low n slow first.

John A, may I suggest for your first cook chicken pieces, thighs, breasts, legs or a mix. You'll be surprised at how moist the chicken will be.:) 

I hope all goes well with the delivery and that you get lots of pixs. We will be looking forward to seeing them, that is for sure.:) 

Edited by MacKenzie

Mate you want to get up early then it's a never ending unpacking story lol everything is packed extremely well. I done a few cooks under 400 before I done my burn in due to work had no time but thinking about it I got to learn the settings for most of my cooks I rarely go over 400 to 425 except for pizza or a sear

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill