Geo

Best storage for pulled pork

I'm scheduled to cook 2 pork shoulders for a fundraiser in a couple weeks. In the past, I have always timed the cook so I could take it off the KK, let it sit for a while, pull it, and deliver it. That way it's as fresh as possible. This year, however, I have a conflict on the date of the fundraiser, so I'm wondering if it would work to cook it the day before, and have them reheat it just prior to the fundraiser. 

I presume that I should cook & pull it as usual, but I'm wondering how to best store and reheat the pulled pork. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions

7 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I have not done this but it is what I would try, pull, put in vacuum sealed bags with some juice, vacuum seal and when you want to reheat put the bag in a sous vide bathat 148F for 45 mins. or so to heat up. That's my idea. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, MacKenzie. I have vacuum pack equipment, but no SousVide. I'll check if the organizer might have a SV. If not, would it be best to reheat in an oven, covered with the juice?

Thanks Tony, Charles, & Steve... All great ideas. I've decided to vacuum seal, refrigerate, and reheat in the bag in water at a low boil. Cooked the pork shoulder last night, and pulled & vacuum sealed it this morning. In the next day or two, I'll take it to the lady who coordinates the fundraiser, let her heat it up, and see what she thinks. Will let you know how it works.

Can't resist a couple pictures...

IMG_2840.JPGIMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPGIMG_2856.JPG

• Like 2

I vacuum pack my leftovers and freeze them. Like others have said, just reheat it in simmering water around 145F. If you go hotter, once opened it will lose too much moisture before serving. The softer bark is the only way I can tell it didn't come straight from the smoker. I reheated a brisket point using this method the other day and it was outstanding. 

• Like 1