billg71

Could someone undelete the thread I just deleted?

I was adding a reply to my intro thread and got a pic attached that I didn't want and couldn't figure out how to remove it. So I closed the page, signed out and signed back in. Went to the Reply box and there was my reply, pic and all.

So I saw the "Moderator action" button, clicked on it and saw "Delete" which I thought would delete my reply. WRONG!

Now the whole thread is gone! Is there a moderator out there who can undelete it?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by billg71

38 minutes ago, bosco said:

churchi can you set it up so that the member can't have access to delete posts or even access moderators actions to prevent that?

Correct me if i am wrong but a member should not have physical delete it was stated that this was put in moderation .so on my forums which are vbulliten only mods and higher can view the logs and also re enstate the post but it will go out of public view

As reg members bosco you still want to be able to edit your own post  

2 minutes ago, bosco said:

yes I agree, but he said that he used the moderators action to delete as a regular member.  I did not realize that everyone had access to that

You as a smod are you able to physical delete or soft delete if a reg member or any member can delete physical this is a permission issue and churchi can fix this behind scenes if that is the case

14 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I think this is a permission issue. Regular users should not be allowed to delete posts. 

As a moderator I almost always do a soft delete just in case I make a mistake. It's more of a hide instead of a delete. 

Charles so you are saying you have option to physical delete then ???

Not sure what the deal is but i bet the post is in moderation somewhere behind scenes which would be your acp or mcp 

34 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

Charles so you are saying you have option to physical delete then ???

Not sure what the deal is but i bet the post is in moderation somewhere behind scenes which would be your acp or mcp 

For an individual post I have edit privileges plus the options to Hide, Split or Delete. 

There are other options for dealing with a thread as a whole. 

• Like 1

Hi @billg71, do you still have that option to delete the thread? You have been moved into the owners group by Dennis, so wondering if that option is still there for you. If its not then i know where the issue lies.

So @Stile88, Would it be best to allow users not to delete their post, rather just hide it? I think this will solve the issue that @billg71 came across where the post was accidentally deleted.

I think you should just do away with it. I've been tramping around internet forums for 16 years and I've never seen one where a user could delete or hide a reply(much less a whole thread) without asking a mod. Usually the best you can do if you put your foot in your mouth is edit the post and delete everything.

If you can tweak it to hide only your reply that would be OK but being able to effectively delete the whole topic means you're giving the initiator the power to hide all the responses from others who participated. I don't think that's really a good thing. Essentially, you're promoting anyone who starts a thread to moderator status for that thread. And I doubt members who put time and effort into responding to that thread would appreciate their labors disappearing just because the OP decided he didn't like what he'd started.

That's, for me, what forums are all about. Everyone gets their chance to speak their mind and, if they're not obnoxious about it, their thoughts will be there forever. Others can search and see what was said years after the thread has died a natural death. Giving any random user the power to obliterate the work of others is, to me, contrary to the spirit of a forum.

Damn, I got wound up, didn't I? Apologies, I don't usually haul out the soapbox this early in the evening. I guess it's just being a Yank and the "Freedom of Speech" thing. ;)

Anyway, you asked... ;)

Thanks for taking the time to follow up on this.

Best,

Bill