billg71

Do I really have to name my KK?

30 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I'm not into the naming thing, but to each their own.

That said, I think yours might have some good options based on the delivery issues alone

• Mia - a play on Missing In Action
  • Coyote - the Roadrunners arch nemesis

I kinda like that "Coyote" suggestion, maybe I need to change my profile pic:

D5C_2007.jpg

or go back to my original:

D4S_8097.jpg

Or maybe just give up on it all, move to Montana or Wyoming and spend the rest of my days chasing wild critters with my Nikons(I so wish!). ;)

"Coyote" it is if it ever gets here. Thanks so much, @cschaaf!

Edited by billg71
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've had my KK for over a year now, still no name. Naming 4 boys was hard enough, but a grill? It doesn't help that my kids have started naming our vehicles.

Plus, all the cool dragon names have been taken.

So I don't think it's mandatory, and no one will ask you the name of your grill at parties. It's just that some people on here have a knack for that kind of thing, and it helps personalize such a huge investment.

Bummer about the delivery mate. I feel for for you I never stressed when Ora was being delivered I thought it would rock up when it does. I have not named my Kamados personally but rather to my user name. On guru I'm known as Aussie Joe relating to Kamado Joe when I decided to get a KK I looked into names relating to komodo and came up with Ora http://tolweb.org/treehouses/?treehouse_id=4457

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Update:

I got an email from Dennis this morning and at his suggestion called Roadrunner. After talking to a CS rep and some waiting on hold I got assurance they had both the crate and the pallet and scheduled delivery for next Tuesday. 15 minutes later I missed a call and received a text saying if I wanted delivery today call back in the next 10 minutes. I called back, turns out it was from the driver who tried to deliver the pallet of charcoal. He said they had the crate with the grill, they didn't load it on his truck Tuesday because it looked like a big vase! I told him it wasn't a vase, it was $4K worth of "charcoal grill". We confirmed delivery of the crate with the "vase" and the pallet of charcoal for Tuesday and he'll call me when he leaves and let me know if we're looking at an AM or PM delivery so I can plan my day.

Then another 1-1/2 hours later I get a voice mail from Echo Global Logistics, a Chicago number. It's Sarah, she just wants to know if I'm aware of a delivery on the 25th. So I call her back and give her the quick synopsis, everything's good.

I get home and check email, there's one from Andrew at Echo telling me they're looking into it and another from Sarah to confirm the 10/25 delivery.

All I can say is Dennis must have lit a fire under someone! Thank you, Dennis! :D

So it looks like Coyote is coming home. I could have taken delivery Monday but there's a dumpster full of debris in the driveway from tearing off the deck and building a sunroom . I hope I can tip the driver enough to get him to back up to the house and roll the crate to the patio since my 6 strong carpenters are busy generating revenue elsewhere.

Now the big question: Is it Ms. Coyote or Mr. Coyote? ;)

Thanks to all who've responded!

Edited by billg71

Don't fret Mac, there will be pics. After all this there's no way I wouldn't document the event for posterity. ;)

So what do you think: Ms. or Mr. Coyote? If something has a name it must have a gender, right? It's easy with pets and children, they come with that built in but is a ceramic cooker a he or a she?

Or am I just overthinking this whole name thing?

18 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

You are over thinking this name business :smt077 :);)  and since I think you must be forward thinking go for Ms. Coyote.;)

Thanks Mac, Ms. Coyote she is!  Here's a pic from a Mr. and Ms. Coyote meeting that I took in Yellowstone, she told him to take a hike:

D4S_7499.jpg

Edited by billg71

Plenty of cyotes where I work. So many they actually have an open season. No tag needed, 365 days a year, shoot on sight. 

I've actually seen a cyote spring out of the high grass, grab a baby racoon, run across the road with it hanging out of its mouth and disappear into the woods. Wouldn't have done that with a full grown racoon but the couple babies crossing the road was an easy target. 

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I was just at a friend's house in the southern burbs of Chicago (Downers Grove) and there was a coyote in his backyard. It walked around a bit, then layed down and just hung out for a while. This is not way out in the country by any stretch of the imagination. Should have snapped a pic, but I was in the process of packing to come home and my mind was elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, tony b said:

Believe it or not, I was just at a friend's house in the southern burbs of Chicago (Downers Grove) and there was a coyote in his backyard. It walked around a bit, then layed down and just hung out for a while. This is not way out in the country by any stretch of the imagination. Should have snapped a pic, but I was in the process of packing to come home and my mind was elsewhere. 

Pretty sure what you saw was a billy goat. 

• Like 1