MacKenzie

Pressure Cooked Egg, KK Bacon and Toast Breakfast

OK, so I finally got around to trying this. 2 minutes on high (the baby cooker only has the one pressure setting), with quick release. First try didn't come out so well - my bad, I forgot to put the AL foil over the tops of the ramekins and the yolks came out solid - creamy, but not runny at all. So, trial number 2 this morning, again 2 minutes/quick release, (remembered the foil this time!) came out much better. Yolks were about 1/2 set, so still some runniness to them. For trial number 3, I think that I'll leave them in the shell and see how they come out. 

Liking it so far. If I can get it dialed in, will likely become my go-to method for poaching eggs, as it's much quicker than doing them SV and a whole lot less complicated. 

Did an "in the shell" PC cook this morning. 2 mins on High and fast release, with quick rinse in cold water under the tap. DISASTER! Shells seriously stuck to the white - a total PITA to remove. AND, the yolks were a tad too done for my liking (close to your's MacKenzie). Thinking I'm going to stick to using the foil covered ramekins. 

I was doing something similar (used a spoon), but not exactly the same technique. Will definitely try this trick next time. 

Just curious, when doing whole eggs in the shell, how much water did you put into the bottom of the PC? I put extra water in mine, up to the midpoint on the eggs, which were sitting on the steamer plate. 

Mackenzie, you are amazing!  Never thought to pressure cook eggs, how wonderful is that?  Got to try it. I actually have more pressure cookers than grills (5 of them), all sizes from a 2 3/4 quart frypan to a 12 quart stockpot. All Kuhn Rikon stove tops.  Love them and get such good consistency high altitude cooking.  Just have to adjust cooking time upward, in my case 20%.

A pressure cooker use suggestion.  I make my own chicken, beef, and vegetable stock.  Saving shrimp shells in the freezer to make a shrimp stock one day soon.  Don't like to waste vegetable scraps.  I pile all the onion skins and trimmings, garlic ends, carrot ends and skin, celery trimmings, and anything else that looks good into a ziplock freezer bag until needed.  I also take bones, label them please.  With chicken or turkey I chop them up with my handy cleaver, so the marrow leaks you and gelatinicess.  Freeze them separately from each other.  Now come the fun part.  On stock day, take out how much you want, throw them frozen into a foil pan (might throw in a couple fresh veggies)  put them on the upper rack in your KK while cooking delicious.  About 350 degrees or so for how many hours you wish about 3.  What you get is beautifully smoked veggies and bones to put in your pressure cooker.  Add them to the pressure cooker, almost cover with fresh water, bay leaves, and a couple of spices (I never salt my broth) , bring up to pressure on the second red ring for about 30 minutes for poultry, 60 for beef, (times for normal altitude - non adjusted) let pressure come down naturally, strain through cheesecloth, let fat rise in refrigerator, peel off fat and you will have the most wonderful smoked broth you've ever tasted, virtually for FREE, just a bit of time and effort.  Great base for soups and stew, wonderful change for PC rice, etc. If i don't use it all within a couple days, I freeze it in 2 cup increments in ziplock bags.  

Sharon, thanks, don't you just love those Kuhn Rikon cookers. They are like the KK grills, a piece of art. :)  I only have 3 (LOL)  although I do have one of those huge canning pressure cookers. I just recently bought the frying pan one and I love it. it is great for cooking KK bacon, keeps the splatters inside. I have been saving bone in the freezer but never thought about smashing them up. Thanks for that tip and the tip about putting the leftover veggie end on the KK for a few hours. I don't add salt either until the final produce for the stock. I can see some really tasty stock in my future.:) 

Lorna Sass recipe books are my go to for all pressure cooker recipes.  My next best bet is Rick Rogers and Arlene Ward.  Hands down, my favorite is Lorna Sass, a winner of many culinary awards. Basic and great.  I can read a recipe book like a novel and enjoy it so.  Look foward to so many great posts on the KK forum, learn from them and participating.

My best,

Nicely done, AGAIN, MacKenzie! 

Will have to keep practicing my PC eggs after the Thanksgiving holiday. 

I hear yah, Sharon. I was peeling 5# of large shrimp today and looked at the pile of shells in the sink and seriously thought about stashing them away for stock. I use it to make my Cioppino and Seafood Gumbo. 

I'm a big fan of Miss Vickie's PC cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Vickies-Pressure-Cooker-Recipes/dp/0764597264

I also have this one from America's Test Kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Cooker-Perfection-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1936493411

Edited by tony b