xraydoc

First roti on 32

Haven't posted for a while. Working like crazy. Busy with two kids also. Often, when we get home to cooking, it is already dark. Doesn't make for good pictures. A beautiful night tonight. Decided to try my rotisserie for the first time. Thanks to Dennis, finally got everything figured out with the right pieces. Used a little Loctite on the ends and it works like a charm. Did two chicken breasts. One with jerk seasoning, one with lemon pepper. Brined them both for approximately 12 hours before rubbing. Cooking relatively hot and fast. 400 for an hour to an hour and a half. If it doesn't get gobbled up, I'll try to get a picture when it's done.

Beautiful night!

48dda0f2fc446fc5a822dbad8edcef27.jpg

All rubbed up and ready to go.

967297ee78d4d8986fc4437fc94553ed.jpg

On the grill!

7fc890dbb2a2177ec5dbbc3328f4cded.jpg

As Dennis has mentioned, the basket splitter for the 32 does not allow you to do a front and back split. As such, I had to improvise. I pushed all the lump tothe back of the basket and used one of my deflector stones. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Like 3

Pardon, but those look like whole birds to me? Still can't wait to hear how yours turned out.

I did a batch of jerk chicken leg quarters last night for a dinner guest (hence, no pics). Went the whole nine yards - pimento wood chips, leaves and berries (aka Allspice) in the smoker pot. Worked great. Ya Mon! 

Turned out great. Chicken done perfectly. I preferred the jerk seasoning over the lemon pepper, but I tend to go for spicy.

Only issue was the roti basket unscrewing. I used loctite on the threads, but I only gave it 6 hours or so to set before putting it on the grill. Next time I will put the loctite on and give it 24 hours. Overall, a success.

bee91f0db027390e585768f75c19306a.jpg

• Like 2

I did mine with blue loc-tite,  wrenched down as tight as possible with pliers and wrenches  then gave it 24 hours. Hasn't come loose since and that was many, many spins ago. 

I have the blue loctite. Will try again with pliers and a longer cure. Ultimately, I need it to come off. If I switch from chickens to Turkey (Thanksgiving) then I will need to move the location of the shafts.

17 hours ago, xraydoc said:

I have the blue loctite. Will try again with pliers and a longer cure. Ultimately, I need it to come off. If I switch from chickens to Turkey (Thanksgiving) then I will need to move the location of the shafts.

Yep, it needs the full 24 hours to set up. This is why we all went with blue over red (no election day jokes intended!) loctite, because it's not permanent.