John Wheeler

23" Ultimate or 32" Big Bad -- That is the question!

I’m stuck making the same decision now.  I talked to Dennis today.  Honestly, I feel like I could go either way.  My gut tells me to go for the Big Bad, but my brain says go with the ultimate.  Not just the extra coin, but it is just me and my wife.  That said, we live on an inland lake and entertain for 20-30 people at least 10 times a year.  

I’d be mostly low and slow, but if I went with the Big Bad, I’d probably kick the old Weber gas to the curb as well.  Just need to wife to agree to that one since she is comfortable cooking on gas but not charcoal.

how did it work out now that you have had it a couple of years?  Are you getting use out of the extra space?

BOC if you entertain 10- 20 people once a month, run with the 32.
I have the 23- couldn’t fit the 32 down the side of the house- and I can cater for 12 people pretty easily. With 20, I’d use sous vide for warming and would have to juggle the food.
2 pizza at a time on the 23 is easy with steel on the main grate and stone on the top grate. The stone cooks the top of the lower Pizza and the steel stays hot with direct heat under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOC said:

That said, we live on an inland lake and entertain for 20-30 people at least 10 times a year.  

I’d be mostly low and slow, but if I went with the Big Bad, I’d probably kick the old Weber gas to the curb as well.  Just need to wife to agree to that one since she is comfortable cooking on gas but not charcoal.

@Basher is right. A 32 will make your life so much easier when you are entertaining for more people.  If you are just cooking for your wife and you then I expect the basket splitter will allow you to save on charcoal use for small cooks. 

I agree that low and slow is great, particularly for big groups because you don't have to keep tending the food on the grill.  With a 23 I found I could not fit a whole brisket on the grate and wished I had a bigger KK.  Such problems are fixable though if you do go for a 23 - just split the flat and point on the brisket and away you go!

P.S.  I forgot to talk about cooking on charcoal.  I used to have to wait for my husband to light the fire on our old barbecue so that I could use it.  With the KK, lighting is so easy and efficient that I do it myself and it has really opened up my outdoor cooking options.  I guess you can wait until your wife gets comfortable with the KK and then sell your gasser?

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

@Basher is right. A 32 will make your life so much easier when you are entertaining for more people.  If you are just cooking for your wife and you then I expect the basket splitter will allow you to save on charcoal use for small cooks. 

Does that mean 42" would make your life even easier :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

With a 23 I found I could not fit a whole brisket on the grate and wished I had a bigger KK.

How big are the briskets in the UK, tekobo? I have no problem fitting a full packer cut brisket (about 12 lbs) onto the main grate of my 23".

@BOC - definitely have this discussion with Dennis - he won't steer you wrong. But, IMHO, sounds like you need a 32" BB if you're entertaining that many people, that often. As noted, no worries about cooking for just you and the Mrs, as the 32's basket splitter will take care of that problem. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tony b said:

How big are the briskets in the UK, tekobo? I have no problem fitting a full packer cut brisket (about 12 lbs) onto the main grate of my 23".

The briskets that I get are not heavier than yours.  I suspect not trimmed the same way?