billg71

First chili cook of the season!

22 hours ago, mguerra said:

Tony b

I was thinking exactly the same thing, PC chili...

In fact, my last batch of chili was done in the PC. I greatly simplified my technique from my usual stock pot on the stove method. I usually do 4 separate dumps of different chile powders, and add the tomatoes/oregano/cumin as a separate step, too. I tried this once with my stovetop PC - what a PITA and it didn't save me that much time, with all the depressurization and reheating cycles. So, this time with the new electric PC, it was only 3 steps - Step #1: sear the meat, onions and garlic, then add the initial slurry of rehydrated dried chiles (secret blend) with soaking liquid and some beef stock, and cook in the PC for 20 minutes. Step #2, add the Rotel tomatoes & green chile, Mexican oregano, cumin and what normally would be my first 2 dumps of chile powders, and cook for another 20 minutes. Step # 3, last 2 dumps of chile powders and another 20 minutes in the PC. Have to say, it was as good as my regular stove top method and took half the time. My only real tweak for next time - didn't need to add as much beef stock as usual, as I ended up having to reduce it down and add some masa flour to tighten it up at the end. 

Without giving away too many secrets, here's my source for most of my chile powders and dried chiles.

http://www.penderys.com/

Right after I wrote that post I went looking for the recipe in my stack of recipes, no luck. I then decided maybe it was in a book I was reading, " Pressure Perfect" by Lorna Sass. I scanned it as best as I could and I plan on trying this unless someone else does and says it's awful. :) 

PC Chili.jpg

BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm going to add beans after the chili is cooked. :occasion9:

I have read that onions need to be cooked before putting into the PC, raw onions in raw onions out so I will precook my onions.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

You guys are getting way too fancy for me with these PC recipes but they do sound good!

But 15-minute chili? Isn't half of the fun of a chili cook letting it get the whole house smelling like chili after an hour or two of simmering, smelling all the goodness and anticipating when it'll be just right? It is for me and the family! :)

Some things just weren't meant to be done in a hurry, IMHO. Like barbecue and chili. YMMV.

best,

Bill

P.S. And thanks for the recipes! I may get a wild hair and try them some day when I have time. Until then I'll continue making do with Carroll Shelby and Paul Newman. ;)

• Like 1

Well you got me motivated, along with the unusually cold weather of late here, @billg71 to make a batch of red chili.   Normally I'm all about chile verde or chile colorado but my SO Rhonda makes a basic ground beef chili recipe and adds cocoa, roasted red pepper & tomato soup instead of 'mators and I added some fresh cooked San Francisco beans (from Rancho Gordo) and have been eating it for a few days now.   Nothing beats it on a cold blustery day.   Well except for maybe home made chicken soup with homemade noodles, smoked pork butt chile verde, bison chile colorado ... you get it :D

So thanks for the motivation!  

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1

Resurrecting this thread for chili-heads since it is starting to be that time of season (in DFW at least).

Your last 15 minutes or so toss in 4 or 5 peppers from a can of peppers in adobo sauce. Stir around a bit, then fish them out before serving.

Adds a fantastic smokey undertone and pending the the size of your batch of chili some heat as well! Skipped all the BS and went straight to my secret ingredient :)

• Like 4