billg71

First chili cook of the season!

So after the longest, hottest, driest Summer and Fall I've experienced here in the Atlanta area it has finally rained and turned cold. So it's time to cook up a pot of chili!

The recipe is nothing fancy, just Carroll Shelby's mix and his basic recipe with a couple of additions.

Ingredients:

2 lb. ground beef

1 4 oz. can of tomato sauce(I use unsalted)

1 packet of Carroll Shelby's chili seasoning

salt and cayenne pepper(included in the mix box) to taste.

I add a jar of Neumann's Medium Salsa, pureed a few seconds in the blender to eliminate the chunks. YMMV on the puree but I think the salsa throws in an extra twist to the basic recipe.

I also add in a can of Bush's low-sodium Red Kidney beans, rinsed well. These are optional, I know chili purists don't put beans in their chili but I like them. Whatever floats your boat.

I usually use a mix of 1-1/2 lb ground beef and a half-pound of country sausage or ground pork but I didn't have either so I went with the recommended 2 lb of ground beef(85/15) for this cook.

Methodology:

Brown the ground beef in a large skillet(I only do 1 lb. at a time) and place the cooked beef on several layers of paper towels to drain. I don't like big chunks of ground beef in my chile so I pay attention during this phase and break up the chunks with a spatula. But that's just me, if you like chunks go for it.

While the beef is browning, puree the salsa(if you wish) and put it in a large pot to start heating over medium-low heat. Then add the tomato sauce, chili seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1 salsa  jar of water. Let this come up to a slow boil while you're browning the beef, as soon as the first pound of beef has browned and drained, throw it in. Follow with the second pound of beef when it's cooked and drained.

At this point your chili will be pretty thick, you'll want to simmer it for a couple hours to integrate the flavors so you'll need to add another jar or so of water. Now's the time to add the beans after rinsing them well in a colander or strainer. Once the chili has come back up to a slow boil drop the heat to a simmer, cover with the lid open just a bit and stir every  10-15 minutes for at least an hour or until you reach desired consistency. The longer you simmer the more the flavors develop so I usually go for 2 hours.

All's well as ends well, first pot of the season came out great!

Now I just have to put the leftovers away and clean the pot. :(

Best,

Bill

IMG_0781.JPG

Edited by billg71
  • Like 2

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241499/chef-johns-red-beans-and-rice/

You can use salt pork or pickled pork instead of a ham hock, just anything naturally salty.

I also find that the longer you simmer, the better, even better when served the next day. This dish is not rigid as far as the recipe goes, but it's a start. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love red beans and rice. This thread did nothing to resolve the debate on beans in chili (I vote against, wife votes for...no wonder our politics are so screwed up), but I vote a HUGE thumbs up on making a pot of red beans and rice soon. In fact, I'm getting a hankerin' for some Shrimp Etouffee as well. And gumbo. And beignets.