Jon B.

Interesting Ceramic Cookware

Donabes.thumb.jpg.2bb5b671a118fb6f666838f18761c7ad.jpg

Hi my name is Dave and I'm an addict.

From top left,

I too love the rice cooker. On the other coast from my Komodo Kamado, the smoker is surprising fun, if infrequently used. I prefer the soup and stew donabe to the all-purpose donabe for general use; it is rated for more heat abuse. The only donabe that can't be heated "empty" is the all-purpose donabe, but a bit of oil and garlic or whatever counts as "not empty". I also own a donabe tagine (not shown) but I find it impractical. Just use a soup and stew donabe.

Next shelf down is a set of La Chamba pots (great value, use all the time for beans), a Wolfgang Mock grain mill for making pasta, bread from home-ground flour, a pasta pot, and an aging single-slot European toaster for which I can't find a replacement.

The shelves are stair treads. The hanging baskets are great when citrus is in season, for fresh-squeezed juice. This year the selection has been poor.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

You win, Syzygies, that is a true addiction. :drinkers:

BTW Dualit makes a 2 slice toaster without bells and whistles except for a mechanical timer, it doesn't pop up, there is no fireworks to say things are toasted but the best news is that if an element goes bad, they supply one that the owner can easily change. The toaster can be set just to cook one slice if that is all you want. :) 

https://www.dualit.com/products/classic-toasters

Thanks for posting the links. :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by MacKenzie

Dang.........now I have big time "Pot Envy" ...................next thing you know Charles @ckreef will be posting a picture of all his new pizza pans....and then I will have "Pan Envy" also!!!!!!!!!! 

Geez.........it never ends :-D!

(Mac....I'm not even going to look at those toasters!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I too love the rice cooker. On the other coast from my Komodo Kamado, the smoker is surprising fun, if infrequently used. I prefer the soup and stew donabe to the all-purpose donabe for general use; it is rated for more heat abuse. The only donabe that can't be heated "empty" is the all-purpose donabe, but a bit of oil and garlic or whatever counts as "not empty". I also own a donabe tagine (not shown) but I find it impractical. Just use a soup and stew donabe.

I am very happy to learn from your addiction Dave.  I did a lot of research a few months ago and the two I was planning to buy were the rice cooker and the soup and stew pot.  You confirming that they are your "go to" donabes leaves me free to indulge in a Miso-shiru when I do come to pull the trigger on a second donabe.  Validation.  Hurrah.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

BTW Dualit makes a 2 slice toaster without bells and whistles except for a mechanical timer, it doesn't pop up, there is no fireworks to say things are toasted but the best news is that if an element goes bad, they supply one that the owner can easily change. The toaster can be set just to cook one slice if that is all you want. :) 

Wow, that brings back memories.

Dualit, "the Queen's toaster". We bought this one for California: Dualit 26555 2-Slice Design Series Toaster

In "bagel mode" the outside elements get hotter than the inside elements. This is reversed from most other toasters. The Dualit allows one to lift and inspect in mid-toast without ending the toast cycle, and it's easier to see what's going on with this wiring. One does have to remember to cross one's hands after slicing a bagel, to insert properly into the toaster.

The manual never got the memo, and describes the reversed, usual convention. I didn't want an incorrectly wired toaster, so I returned THREE toasters before keeping the fourth, finally getting a satisfactory explanation. Amazon briefly took these toasters off the market while investigating. The manual is still wrong, as far as I know.

We're actually less than impressed with the heating elements, haphazard and uneven. The replaceable elements in your link look much better, though I'd prefer actual quartz heating. Perhaps you've linked to better Dualit toasters.

13 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Dang.........now I have big time "Pot Envy" ...................next thing you know Charles @ckreef will be posting a picture of all his new pizza pans....and then I will have "Pan Envy" also!!!!!!!!!! 

Geez.........it never ends :-D!

(Mac....I'm not even going to look at those toasters!)

New personal pan pizza pans recently posted along with new paella pan. I'm not done yet just done for the moment ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m re launching this old thread.
Why?
I’m on a beach holiday, and it’s been raining for 2 days. What else is there to do other than read books, watch the cricket and shop online?
I have just ordered my first Donabe.
I was actually looking for a ginsan petty knife- and found one that led me back down this donabe rabbit hole.
Are you still cooking with your donabe?
Any favourite recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Basher, I have the same rice cooker as Toney, actually posted it recently. Well, I had the same issues with rice some time ago, saw the post and my rice quality surged. I use it with hamburger for my dogs, they scoff it down and leave nothing behind. So if your pup's tummy is on the blink mix this up, helps if you mix it in with a half portion of dry afterwards. It has also worked well with the new wok, stir fry and rice once a week now. I prefer the long grain Basmati rice.

Hope the vaca is easing the mind, you must be suffering a bit of separation anxiety from your KK

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Basher, I have the same rice cooker as Toney, actually posted it recently. Well, I had the same issues with rice some time ago, saw the post and my rice quality surged. I use it with hamburger for my dogs, they scoff it down and leave nothing behind. So if your pup's tummy is on the blink mix this up, helps if you mix it in with a half portion of dry afterwards. It has also worked well with the new wok, stir fry and rice once a week now. I prefer the long grain Basmati rice.
Hope the vaca is easing the mind, you must be suffering a bit of separation anxiety from your KK

Definitely missing my KK thanks Tyrus.
I like to cook when on hols, however, the unit we are staying in only has a microwave, a crappy pot and fry pan and a single cooktop. I’d never seen knives as blunt as what’s here- now they r sharp. I guess this becomes the challenge of preparing good food with rubbish gear.
Still, Noosa is a pretty place.
c181bb46f3711b2cd2064830aa735f4a.jpg

I usually buy offal for my dog and now will be adding rice to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tony b said:

Moroccan ceramic tagines and Bulgarian claypots

Very attractive, placing one of those on the table just cooked inspires a conversation.

6 hours ago, Basher said:

I’d never seen knives as blunt as what’s here- now they r sharp

Look at Basher, on Vaca and sharpening the hotel cutlery lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I bring my own when I can.

Well, to tell the whole truth, we do this as well. Actually, we keep a separate suitcase fully packed with knife case (full of trip-only knives), assorted kitchen and grill tools, two pans, bar and wine stuff (including wine and champagne glasses), coffee stuff, etc. ready to go. 

We have had too many vacation rentals with unacceptable or missing tools. 

• Like 3