Jon B.

Interesting Ceramic Cookware

A few years ago I saw a video by Chef Ming Tsai  for a ceramic rice cooker called a Donabe Kamado-San and just had to have one. 

These have been made in Japan since the early 1800's and are still made by hand by the same company in Iga, Japan  Check out some history.  How it is Made.

Never could cook rice worth a darn but now I cook it about once a week.  Have not screwed it up yet. 

Donabe Kamado-San.jpg

Recently a friend on the Primo forum and a great chef, gracoman,  posted a topic on a clay/ceramic dutch oven made in Colombia, called La Chamba. (Video)  He recently purchased a few pieces and was very impressed with the appearance, quality and their performance.  And of course.......................I just had to have one!!!!!  And it just happens to fit perfectly in the 19"KK TT. 

LaChamba.jpeg

This past weekend, I smoked a couple chuck roasts on the KK and then use them to make a beef stew in the La Chamba.

BeefStew.jpeg

BeefStew2.jpeg

It was a fun cook and the new pot worked wonderfully.  (picture before carrots & mushrooms & other goodies)

I have plenty of cast iron but this ceramic cookware is in a class of it's own in appearance and history.

If anyone is interested,  Ancient Cookware is offering a 10% discount on orders placed before the end of December (I have no affiliation with them).  PM me for the discount code.    

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

Looks great did you find a taste difference between this and cast iron

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

No I didn't.

This was my first cook in the new pot.  The meat was smoked strong with hickory and I used a lot of onions & garlic.  Cooked it for 6 hours at 250*F/ 121*C.  After I washed the new pot (like cast iron - very little soap) , there was no lingering odor from the cook.  I did cook in the oven.  Not sure if the the pot would take on the smoke taste/smell if used in the KK???

My cast iron is well seasoned and I don't notice any lingering taste/odors when using it either.

I did transport the finished stew in the new La Chamba pot to another house for dinner and it held the food temp like a heat soaked KK. 

Not thinking it is any better than a CI dutch oven........but it sure is pretty :-D!!!!!!  

PS - It did clean up easier than my cast iron - FYI

Edited by Jon B.
  • Like 1

No I didn't.

This was my first cook in the new pot.  The meat was smoked strong with hickory and I used a lot of onions & garlic.  Cooked it for 6 hours at 250*F/ 121*C.  After I washed the new pot (like cast iron - very little soap) , there was no lingering odor from the cook.  I did cook in the oven.  Not sure if the the pot would take on the smoke taste/smell if used in the KK???

My cast iron is well seasoned and I don't notice any lingering taste/odors when using it either.

I did transport the finished stew in the new La Chamba pot to another house for dinner and it held the food temp like a heat soaked KK. 

Not thinking it is any better than a CI dutch oven........but it sure is pretty :-D!!!!!!  

PS - It did clean up easier than my cast iron - FYI

Cool wasn't thinking if it was better than ci just wondering if there was a subtle difference but they do look good and I'm assuming they way less than ci if so that's a good thing

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

On 12/6/2016 at 4:08 PM, Jon B. said:

A few years ago I saw a video by Chef Ming Tsai  for a ceramic rice cooker called a Donabe Kamado-San and just had to have one. 

These have been made in Japan since the early 1800's and are still made by hand by the same company in Iga, Japan  Check out some history.  How it is Made.

Never could cook rice worth a darn but now I cook it about once a week.  Have not screwed it up yet. 

When I first saw this post I thought there would be no point in buying a donabe kamado-san.  I had no problem cooking rice and thought "how much??!" when I saw the cost of the pot.  However, slowly, slowly I got drawn in and I finally bought one direct from Japan a couple of months ago.  Well....I have to say that the rice does come out lovely and extra fluffy.  Definitely better than my non-donabe efforts.  Plus there is a range of recipes for cooking seafood and meat in with the rice that I really must try.  Thanks for setting us off on this path @Jon B..   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tekobo said:

When I first saw this post I thought there would be no point in buying a donabe kamado-san.  I had no problem cooking rice and thought "how much??!" when I saw the cost of the pot.  However, slowly, slowly I got drawn in and I finally bought one direct from Japan a couple of months ago.  Well....I have to say that the rice does come out lovely and extra fluffy.  Definitely better than my non-donabe efforts.  Plus there is a range of recipes for cooking seafood and meat in with the rice that I really must try.  Thanks for setting us off on this path @Jon B..   

@tekobo  I can't remember what cooking forum and who on it...........first posted the video of the rice cooker but I need to thank them!!!!

At first, I was like you and said.........big $$$ for a rice cooker but I was so bad at cooking rice I had to try something.

We usually use chicken stock and try all different kinds of rice.  We season the stock with different seasonings before soaking the rice in the cooker.  Stir in mixed veggies, seafood and/or meat after cooking the rice. Makes a wonderful meal and great leftovers.  

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Now he tells us........................  :occasion5:

There was such a bewildering variety available that I decided to go to the source and buy what looked most "original".  I'm hooked now and am planning to try out some of the rice recipes that I found in this book:

Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607746999/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0QHRCbQR85A39

I see more donabe pots in my future but will remember to consult @tony b first!!!

• Like 2