DennisLinkletter

Side table - Latest tweak

Suggestions anyone?

Not sure of your outdoor decor, and what you would like to try and match, but I have one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100324903

Its on sale right now, and is a bargain.Pick it up locally and save shipping.

I keep wood chunks and accessories on the lower shelf, and use the top for when I am cooking. Its aluminum, so it wont rust, and the color will match the lighter shades in your KK. BE careful to use a trivet if you put a pot or somethign hot off the grill on the table...its tempered glass

It's just like children, as they grow you have to get them bigger jammies. I'll hold off buying mine jammies until I get the tables. It's just sitting out on the patio, nekkid, for the whole world to see! :oops::oops:

Dennis, I am thinking the two points should be rounded over. The points will probably be weak if it is made of wood anyway and when the table is let down, they are snag points.

Just guessing here, but they look larger than 10". While I want function, I also don't want it to look like it is about to fly away at any moment. The smallest it can be and still provide function the better it will look. I don't see where anything larger than one standard plate diameter would be necessary (which is around 10"). That still leaves plenty of room for season shakers or pepper mills behind it or on the other side table.

For anyone new to the side table discussion, here is the original thread.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199

-=Jasen=-

Personnally I think we need to stop TWEAKING these damn things and start building them. :twisted: I know you always have to have everything perfect Dennis but why not do as you do with the grills and start with what you have and adjust as we go. :smt032 And if KKeller gets the prototype instead of me I'm "accidentally" shipping his thermometer to the North Pole! Now get to work :smt079

And if KKeller gets the prototype instead of me I'm "accidentally" shipping his thermometer to the North Pole! Now get to work :smt079

Actually if you look at the original thread, this was my idea to begin with (contour shaped side tables verses square). So if you get the prototype and I don't, I am banning you from the forum - hehehe!! :twisted: Also if you look, what I am asking for is not another tweak, it is what I asked for to begin with!!

FYI my new OBT II is scheduled for Delivery this Monday or Tuesday - woohoooo!

-=Jasen=-

I predict it to be stolen off the truck :shock:

Not too worry too much here - hehe - I think Dennis has plans for about 12 to begin with. So I think most of us are gonna be happy - hehehe!

-=Jasen=-

Opps, I thought we were talking about the side tables. Then I re-read and see you meant my grill! hehe

Just guessing here' date=' but they look larger than 10". While I want function, I also don't want it to look like it is about to fly away at any moment. The smallest it can be and still provide function the better it will look. I don't see where anything larger than one standard plate diameter would be necessary (which is around 10"). -=Jasen=-[/quote']

I like the size of the, uh, corrugated teak prototypes. I use "half sheet" baking pans to transfer meat, apply mops, etc. I'd like a side table to hold a 18" x 13" pan loaded down with 30 pounds of meat without dumping the whole thing to the ground.

Jasen's got a good point about the points. Probably would be weak and snaggy in the folded down position.

I also add my vote for a way to hang tools / towel. Can't ever have too much room for that sort of thing. If there's any way to have a vertical magnetic surface under the teak platform to mount a Polder thermometer (keeps the LCD display from blacking out in heat of direct sunlight), that'd be cool too.

I'd like a side table to hold a 18" x 13" pan loaded down with 30 pounds of meat without dumping the whole thing to the ground.

Seriously, you don't need a side table then, you need a table! Maybe Dennis can come up with two options, a 10" and a 14" (dumbo version- hehehe :lol:).

-=Jasen=-

I dont like the aeshtetics of side tables at all...but I would love to have a stainless bracket that could mount to the left side mounting location, with a few nice heavy hooks to hang my grill racks and utensils on when not in use. Maybe something about 6 inches long, with a couple of hooks mounted vertically so the grates can overlap.

Uh huh?

I dont like the aesthetics of side tables at all...but I would love to have a stainless bracket that could mount to the left side mounting location' date=' with a few nice heavy hooks to hang my grill racks and utensils on when not in use. Maybe something about 6 inches long, with a couple of hooks mounted vertically so the grates can overlap.[/quote']

You don't like the atheistic of side tables but you have no problem aesthetically with hanging giant 3/8" stainless grills on it's side? I guess the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder..

I'm happy to make you up a vertical grill/untensil bracket.

;);)

That's hard to swallow.. but the 3/8" grills are beauti

I dont like the aeshtetics of side tables at all...but I would love to have a stainless bracket that could mount to the left side mounting location' date=' with a few nice heavy hooks to hang my grill racks and utensils on when not in use. Maybe something about 6 inches long, with a couple of hooks mounted vertically so the grates can overlap.[/quote']

Let me understand this.. you dont like the aeshtetics of side tables at all...but have no problem hanging two massive stainless grills on the side like an overloaded plumbers work belt?

Ok, I understand it would be practical but aesthetic?

That's hard to swallow.. but the 3/8" grills are beautiful..

Why not show them off..

I'm happy to make you up this bracket..

;);)

Re: That's hard to swallow.. but the 3/8" grills are be

I dont like the aeshtetics of side tables at all...but I would love to have a stainless bracket that could mount to the left side mounting location' date=' with a few nice heavy hooks to hang my grill racks and utensils on when not in use. Maybe something about 6 inches long, with a couple of hooks mounted vertically so the grates can overlap.[/quote']

Let me understand this.. you dont like the aeshtetics of side tables at all...but have no problem hanging two massive stainless grills on the side like an overloaded plumbers work belt?

Ok, I understand it would be practical but aesthetic?

That's hard to swallow.. but the 3/8" grills are beautiful..

Why not show them off..

I'm happy to make you up this bracket..

;);)

He just means he don't like purdy stuff anyways, so ugly is fine as long as it's serves a function.

RE the hanging hooky things, maybe instead of a grill type table with hooks, just a "hang on the side" thingy with hooks would do? Like a strip of stainless, set off from the body of the grill enough for some S type hooks. Then the utensils can hang off it on the side? The way we might do with a handle on a Weberkettle, or something.

Hey, I need a whole (not connected to the cooker) table or counter, so I'm perhaps the wrong one to ask. :D

I'm not saying your side tables are ugly, I'm just saying I am not a fan of any side tables attached to grill of this style :o

I'm also not saying that 50 pounds of stainless hanging from the hip of the cooker is necessarily beautiful either but it sure would be functional! Even if you only used it to hold the grills while you lit the cooker or changed grill configurations during your cook.

You dont really want to sit them on the ground when when hot, sticky and dirty, and I cant put them on my cooking cart because it has glass shelves. Right now, I am hanging them on the handle of my "other" cooker, and I store the heat deflector/pans inside - at least its still useful :D

I tossed that vertical rack idea out from the hip as an idea. If anyone else thinks it may be a useful feature, I'd love to hear some more ideas (forum R&D). I was thinking some sort of small accessory rack (similar to the small ones for a Weber kettle with 3 little hooks) across the top to hang your utensils/grill scraper/etc on, then a few beefier hooks arranged vertically so you could hang your racks on there rather than on the ground.

It may not be beautiful either when stacked with racks, but the racks are only temporary - side tables stay attached, and change the lines of the grill. :D