FotonDrv

Just Another Roti Turkey

First spin with the roti, and it was a 20 LB turkey, stuffed with a wild rice, sauteed in garlic butter almonds, raisins, rosemary, thyme and sage.  The bird was rubbed in garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary and thyme w/olive oil.

Love the roti , hate cleaning the clamping thingy's.  Next time I am using wire to tie the bird to the roti.  3-1/2 hrs @ 450 over the cool side of the KK using CoCoChar and some Coffee Char and Coffee Smoking Wood.

There needs to be a way to put the roti motor on by dropping 2 pins in from the top, not that wingnut affair...

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv-Stephen
added text
  • Like 5

Nice looking bird. 

As for the wing nuts I do mine a little backwards. Instead of turning the wing nuts I reach under there,  hold the wing nuts stable and turn the bolt with the top using the allen wrench. (hopefully that made sense) Much easier. You do have to keep up with the allen wrench but I use that on the basket clamps so no big deal. 

• Like 2

Thank you one and all!  I was thinking as I was clamping the bird into the basket that "I should put tinfoil booties over the drumstick ends", got lazy and said to self, " I don't eat the knuckle ends anyway"; should tin foiled them... Oh well, a learning experience :-)

CKREEF, you are lucky, the wrench sizes for mine are 2 sizes, one for the basket clamps and one for the roti.  The one I use for the roti is a long T-handle wrench I have had for years (easier to control than the "L" wrench).  The roti really needs to slide straight on with 2 vertical pins to lock it in place.

Does anyone know the effect that copper has when it interacts with food?  Like using copper wire for the roti lacing/tying??

@FotonDrv-Stephen - first off, nice cook. Turkey looks great.

As far as cleaning the roti clamps, I know that I'm beginning to sound like a broken record (or a pitchman for their company), but PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) works like a charm on the basket and clamps. I drop the whole assembly into a 5 gal bucket with 4 TB of PBW and filler up with hot water. End of the basket will stick out, but just flip it over after a couple of hours and do the other end. Rinse in hot water and regular sponge will wipe everything off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@FotonDrv-Stephen - first off, nice cook. Turkey looks great.

As far as cleaning the roti clamps, I know that I'm beginning to sound like a broken record (or a pitchman for their company), but PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) works like a charm on the basket and clamps. I drop the whole assembly into a 5 gal bucket with 4 TB of PBW and filler up with hot water. End of the basket will stick out, but just flip it over after a couple of hours and do the other end. Rinse in hot water and regular sponge will wipe everything off. 

Tony, the BB32 has a roti that is giant and I would need a 25gal barrel to put it into to be able to immerse the whole thing.  I know flipping that drippy mess around would work, but I am old and desire to simplify things.  I did not mind cleaning the baskets but those little clamps/mounting hardware with set screws and recesses to gather gunk left me wanting something else, hence the desire for wire.  Checked a couple of craft stores in the county today and got a lot of small 22-24ga wire which IMHO is way to small and would cut through a crusty bird skin.  Something on the line of 14ga is where I am headed.

14 hours ago, FotonDrv-Stephen said:

Will they just rinse off after soaking in PBW??

If you mean, will it just fall off under running water - not really (unless you're like pressure washing it - LOL!) But, just a simple wipe with a wet sponge is all that's needed. No elbow grease at all. If you want to get into all those nooks and crannies, like the hole in the top of the allen screw, you might want to use an old toothbrush. My philosophy is, if it doesn't come into contact with the food, then I can let it slide.

@Bruce Pearson - Yes, they do. Like you said, just loosen the allen screw and slide them to that notched out section of the rod near the end and off they come - easy, peasy!

• Like 1