tomahawk66

Satay Night - off topic/not KK

Thought I'd share a few photos of a night we had last month at the Satay stands of Lau Pa Sat in Singapore. One thing I've not been able to do well on a KK is Satay...

39d5470398ea80c08c7da3a0b72ddaf2.jpg

d5990c5419c1cd6bec2c5aefa654b439.jpg

3902b36cd82efbf726214550168e7ca3.jpg

a7bc71206b235c5de25bb869f072f237.jpg

90404f6c937c17cb993f02c462ee546d.jpg

They shut the street at 7pm near my office to create this Satay street food haven!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Looks delicious. Extra large Yakatori grills. Would love to eat at a place like that. 

One thing that kamados don't do really well  is Yakatori type kabobs. Hence my current small Yakatori grill. I'll own a large one this spring. 

Edited by ckreef

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Looks delicious. Extra large Yakatori grills. Would love to eat at a place like that. 

One thing that kamados don't do really well  is Yakatori type kabobs. Hence my current small Yakatori grill. I'll own a large one this spring. 

Did you find a replacement for the one your really wanted yet, or just being hopeful you'll find one by springtime??

For yakitori or satays like this, they need to be near the heat source. Only way to do that in the KK is the sear grill, but it's difficult to reach all the way down there to flip tiny wooden skewers - and the sticks burn up too easily (even if you soak them in water first)! That's why the yakitori grill that Charles and I have works great - the skewers hang off the edge and the grate sits right on top of the charcoal.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tony b said:

Did you find a replacement for the one your really wanted yet, or just being hopeful you'll find one by springtime??

After many, many hours of searching over the last few days I've basically given up. There is one possibility out there. You can buy it direct from Japan with about $300 worth of shipping (no thank you) or from a company in CA ($10 shipping)  but they are out of stock for the XL 30" model. (I would have to settle for the 24" model) 

So I took my research in a different direction and started looking at castable refractory cement.  I totally don't know what I'm doing so it would be an interesting experiment but I'm not scared. I have the basic idea and game plan so we'll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

For yakitori or satays like this, they need to be near the heat source. Only way to do that in the KK is the sear grill, but it's difficult to reach all the way down there to flip tiny wooden skewers - and the sticks burn up too easily (even if you soak them in water first)! That's why the yakitori grill that Charles and I have works great - the skewers hang off the edge and the grate sits right on top of the charcoal.

How about setting the charcoal basket on the middle grill/grate and cook on the big grill??  That would get the fire close to the food.

4 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

How about setting the charcoal basket on the middle grill/grate and cook on the big grill??  That would get the fire close to the food.

I did that once. Had a nice bed of coals that way. Took a serious picture of it. This was with my 16" and the reason it got named Prometheus. Dennis was not happy. The upper area of a KK does not have the extra firebox thickness. You would be putting a lot of heat in an area that is not reinforced for that type of heat. He asked me not to do that again and I haven't done it since. 

The post of this adventure, the picture and the reply from Dennis is somewhere on this forum. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2