dstr8

Not coming between us ...

I have read posts from folks in the south who would rather stay indoors with the AC on than go outside in the heat to grill, that's what I'm talking about.:) I should add it would be a foggy Fri. before I'd cook my grilling foods in the house.:) 

Edited by MacKenzie

On 1/18/2017 at 7:38 PM, dstr8 said:

I had the fortune/misfortune (long story :D) of living in Monterey for almost 2-years.   I've lived all my life in 4-season climates and never thought I'd be a coastal lover but oh boy do I hate summer and winter now (back in 4-season Reno) :D.    And miss the Central Coast! 

But I still love cooking on my KK ... actually much more so in our winter than our hot hot summers!

Carmel is hard to beat when it comes to climate.  From San Simeon to Monterey it is a slice of heaven.

• Like 1

I decided to try the pink paper wrap trick 2/3 of the way through the roast/smoke (pecan chips).

What was your verdict on the paper wrap? I'm doing a brisket flat tomorrow, and planning to try wrapping in paper when it hits the stall. Going to try the paper just for something different, but will use a grocery bag with the bottom cut out to see if it's worthwhile before I order a big roll of paper.

Wrapping the ribs increased the meat's moisture and tenderness.   But I prefer the bark of not wrapping and more traditional "chew" for the meat texture.   If you like tenderness over a drier "chew" then you will like ribs that have been wrapped.    My SO preferred the wrapped and I preferred no wrap.    I will probably do one of each for the next time :D

I've only done one brisket using the pink paper wrap ala Franklin's.   I'll continue to do briskets this way.   It resulted in a good bark but increased moisture which for brisket, works for me.

Edited by dstr8

GO FOR IT!! 

Despite a lot of hype about how hard they are do to well, it's really not that hard if you follow Franklin's best advice - get the best quality cut of meat you can afford. I generally only do Prime grade anymore. So much better than Choice or even Angus. Haven't shelled out the coin for a Wagyu yet. I also follow his method of wrapping in pink butcher paper after the stall (around 170F) for the rest of the cook. Target IT is 203F. Wrap brisket (still in butcher paper) in AL foil and a beach towel, then into the cooler for at least an hour. You will be amazed! 

• Like 1