Garvinque

Korean Mandu or Mandoo

When I was station in Korea this was my favorite dish to eat after a night of heavy soju drinking and just good overall:

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef or pork
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup finely chopped cabbage (about 1/2 of a small cabbage head), parboiled
  • 1/2 cup tofu (1 cake), chopped
  • 4 oz mung bean or sweet potato noodles, soaked and then chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 package circular mandoo wrappers (or Japanese gyoza or Chinese wonton wrappers)
Preparation
  1. In a large mixing bowl, gently combine meat, onion, cabbage, tofu, and noodles.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
  3. Pour seasoning mixture over meat and vegetables and mix with hands to combine.
  4. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of dumpling wrapper.
  5. Dip your finger in water and wet the outside edge of the top half of the wrapper.
  6. Fold the wrapper up to close and then crimp the edges.
  7. Repeat until the filling is gone.
  8. You can steam, boil, fry, or saute the dumplings as you wish.
  9. Serve with basic dipping sauce or a spicy sauce. We would use just ketchup! And they were always fried..

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque

Dumplings sound tasty.

Soju = rock gut (IMHO). Think cheap sake. Only tried it a couple of times. The first was a liter bottle that I paid like $12 for (I'm shocked college kids haven't jumped on this bandwagon, as it's a much cheaper drunk than beer!) Second time was at a dinner and it was supposed to be "higher quality" soju in the little bottles. Not a huge improvement to my taste buds. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

That looks pretty good cheers for the recipe I met these Japanese tourists in town one day and they were lost as I had the day off I said I would show them the sights of Perth in their hire car they totally loved it little did I know they were high executives looking into our iron ore industry and we're staying at the best place in town after the day they invited me back to the hotel and pulled out some sake they had brought with them from japan let's just say we all got pissed had a great night and I passed out on the floor lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, tony b said:

Soju = rock gut (IMHO). Think cheap sake. Only tried it a couple of times. The first was a liter bottle that I paid like $12 for (I'm shocked college kids haven't jumped on this bandwagon, as it's a much cheaper drunk than beer!) Second time was at a dinner and it was supposed to be "higher quality" soju in the little bottles. Not a huge improvement to my taste buds. 

Was it straight Soju or was it mixed, for me it was always mixed with fruit punch of all things and it's a slow creep of a drunk. The first time I had it I was drinking with friends and was saying how weak it was because I didn't feel anything until I got up to go to the restroom then BOOM fubar!!:drunken:

Fubar= F****d Up Beyond All Recognition

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque