Aussie Ora

Smoking pot

6 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm Goin to bite the bullet in the next month and get the KK smoker .I love the pot but can see so many possibilities with the smoker .wondering if I can cut up fruit wood in small cubes if it would work.

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Yes you can. As long as it fits in the tube and you can keep it lit, you're good to go. 

6 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

@cschaaf & @Aussie Ora - can't resist poking the bear? :shock::smt005

I want to respond to his dumb answer, but it would be like talking to a cast iron pot.

His method was - try this and give it every opportunity to work. Except, pre-decide that the hole location doesn't matter and drill them in the side.

Then, as proof that the hole locations don't matter, point them at 12:00. Nope, no difference. Now turn them to 3:00. Nope, no difference. Therefore, it makes no difference which way the holes face. He said, in his tests, it didn't matter which way they pointed. But guess which way he never tried?

I don't think the Mythbusters will be calling him any time soon for advice on how to test things.

If I had stock in cast iron pots, it might be worth the argument. Otherwise, I've passed the point of caring.

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 6

[mention=2601]cschaaf[/mention] & [mention=2714]Aussie Ora[/mention] - can't resist poking the bear? :shock::smt005

I don't think my post was poking just asking what's this under the coals totally lost me I got no reply but he was quick to reply to cschaaf lol .but what amazes me pesto replyed with that he might have to try it under the coals .is Johns magic working lol I still have no idea what this under the coals is about lol even where to start if I wanted to try it.can anyone explain

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I don't think my post was poking just asking what's this under the coals totally lost me I got no reply but he was quick to reply to cschaaf lol .but what amazes me pesto replyed with that he might have to try it under the coals .is Johns magic working lol I still have no idea what this under the coals is about lol even where to start if I wanted to try it.can anyone explain emoji12.png

A lot of folks there defer to John, which is the only reason it's bothersome. This isn't the first time he's come out against something that most agree is an improvement. He's at his best when he sticks to explaining fundamentals and doing cooking demos. Techniques and science...not in his wheelhouse. 

• Like 2

I wasn't really trying to poke, either... okay, maybe indirectly. I just wanted to see why he didn't drill in the bottom. If he would have said that that would allow him to test the pot in many different configurations, that would have been a good answer. To me, his answer just proved that he wasn't willing to give it a shot to really work. I really don't understand that.

I figured wither we'd get either a logical or illogical answer from him... then readers could form their own opinion based on that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I figured wither we'd get either a logical or illogical answer from him...

Funny he's the one who posted the topic about using smoking pot or foil but when given valid reasons on why the pot works he goes out of his way to discredit the info given to him and doesn't do what was told!! As HalfSmoke said stick to cooking videos and talking up the KJ, but if you are not willing to be open minded about other methods of cooking people bring to you just don't say anything!!

Garvin

In fairness to John, several folks suggested multiple times that he try it, and he did so. We can argue about his approach and results, but he did what he did and reported his findings. It's up to others to decide what they do with those findings. Most folks will ignore it, some will blindly follow his advice, and a few will question for themselves. Just human nature. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

@cschaaf & @Aussie Ora - can't resist poking the bear? :shock::smt005

So I had to go to the Guru and see what's been going on. I don't know about poking the bear but, you were definitely wasting your breath.

It didn't matter the beta test (for lack of a better term) was flawed. He's made up his mind and there's no changing it.

I'm with Rick...please pass the popcorn!

• Like 2

I don't post much anymore, but I gotta ask, is it just me or is listening to John S's  slow talking painful?  Can't remember ever watching anybody who speaks (thinks?) slower. How he got hooked up with Kamado Joe baffles me.  I guess the average Joe needs his info delivered molasses slow.  I tried to watch that video but couldn't  get more than a minute into it.  The funniest thing is he has no effing clue what he's talking about.  Ok enough said about this wanna-be authority.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I like most of his videos and I don't think he talks all that slow - but, living where I do, maybe I am used to it now.

I too like most of his videos. I could skip the lighting and setting the vents but I'm not his intended audience either.  In general Kamado Guru (and John) has done a good job promoting kamado cooking in general. There are a few of us on this forum that wouldn't be here if it wasn't for his forum. I might not have ever bought a kamado except I found Kamado Guru in my research. 

I think he went about the smoke pot a little wrong but I gloss over a lot of what gets posted anyway. It's just not all that. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

Yeah.... I started writing a really long reply, mostly because I was wondering if his post might deter someone from trying it. Then I realized it would make me seem combative (which I'm not). And as long as people are happy with their results that should be good enough for them. I'm a perfectionist and not everyone is. And that is ok. I too, would never have gotten into kamado cooking if it were not for john and kamado guru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah.... I started writing a really long reply, mostly because I was wondering if his post might deter someone from trying it. Then I realized it would make me seem combative (which I'm not). And as long as people are happy with their results that should be good enough for them. I'm a perfectionist and not everyone is. And that is ok. I too, would never have gotten into kamado cooking if it were not for john and kamado guru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame you have to tippy toe in explaining the way how something works for the benifit of others in the fear of sounding combative. I too started my journey on guru and it's a great site and I have learnt so much through Johns videos and the people on the site .

• Like 3