Garvinque

16tt owners- Meat load?

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

One thing to consider is the distance from the fire to the grate. It is as is to expected much shorter in the 16.

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

I have yet to do a butt but I see no reason why you couldn't. One of these days I will.emoji4.png

Just eyeballing it with the upper grate how many let's say 7lb butts do you think would fit?

Garivn

6 hours ago, Garvinque said:

To all 16tt owners how much meat have you loaded on the little beast and if you have photos please post that as well, thanks for any info you can provide? Jon B showed me a photo of his 19tt loaded with 4 large butts, so I have a idea about them would love to see the 16tt loaded!

Garvin

So does this mean you're leaning toward to a 16TT?

1 hour ago, HalfSmoke said:

So does this mean you're leaning toward to a 16TT?

For the most part it's just me and on the occasion I do cook for more usually only a couple more folks! But haven't decided yet keeping options open, I know you can cook on a larger grill for a few people but can't cook for a larger crowd on a small grill. I want the KK for mainly low and slow and baking and if on the that occasion I need more space I have other's to go to. Ckreef I believe started with the 16tt and then moved up to the 19tt and I can see that being the case for me.

Garvin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

For the most part it's just me and on the occasion I do cook for more usually only a couple more folks! But haven't decided yet keeping options open, I know you can cook on a larger grill for a few people but can't cook for a larger crowd on a small grill. I want the KK for mainly low and slow and baking and if on the that occasion I need more space I have other's to go to. Ckreef I believe started with the 16tt and then moved up to the 19tt and I can see that being the case for me.

Garvin

Yup, definitely worth investigating.

• Like 1

HalfSmoke I would not have considered a Komodo Kamado if I haven't read most of your posts along with ckreef and bosco! The baking that you have done on yours since last year is amazing and the different cooks from bosco and ckreef now with Mackenzie and Aussie ora, and other's I dream of owning one.  Never really consider a 22 or larger KK  but who knows once I get the first one may decide bigger KK is in my future.

Garvin

4 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

HalfSmoke I would not have considered a Komodo Kamado if I haven't read most of your posts along with ckreef and bosco! The baking that you have done on yours since last year is amazing and the different cooks from bosco and ckreef now with Mackenzie and Aussie ora, and other's I dream of owning one.  Never really consider a 22 or larger KK  but who knows once I get the first one may decide bigger KK is in my future.

Garvin

The good news is you can't go wrong with any of them. And you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you'll own two eventually anyway... <_<

Here's a post from Mac that might have the pic you're looking for.

• Like 1

HalfSmoke has it right, that is the upper grate on top of the main grate. Actually for the 16 the lower grate gets flipped over and set on top of the main grate to make an upper grate. Personally I would go for the 19 TT over the 16 TT if I were you. I have the 22 inch and wanted something smaller and lighter for my winter time cooks. You will find that the distance from fire to grate in more optimal for the larger grill. In my opinion that is one of the best features of  the KK, the distance from the fire to the grate. I suspect that once you cook on a KK you will probably not want to cook on any other grill. In my opinion without a doubt the food is more tasty, more juicy and an easier cook that on other ceramic grills. I do have considerable experience on other ceramics so you can take this opinion to the bank. :smt046 I really an serious. :) I know I do more winter cooking because I have the  16 because I can roll it out  with one hand and get it right to the deck door. I prefer my 22 for baking bread. :) 

• Like 1

The 16" TT is pretty small. Don't get me wrong, It will hold a large butt and cook it perfectly. I bought the 16" for a number of reasons. It's just the wife and I 90% of the time so a large grill really isn't needed, it is my first ceramic grill and I didn't want to be 5K into it if it wasn't a good fit, oh...and it was part of the after Thanksgiving blowout.

Prior to the purchase I told my wife that this is a starter grill and BB32 is in our future. I have no regrets whatsoever...except not having my second one yet.

• Like 1