Pequod

Authentic Chicago Deep Dish...in Excruciating Detail

This thread is all about authentic Chicago Style Deep Dish, but cooked on the KK, of course. I did a thread similar to this on the Guru once. Put the entire site to sleep. If you caught that one, feel free to skip this one. Heck, skip it if you're not interested too. I won't be offended. Or you may find you need a nap in the middle. That's fine. We'll still be here when you wake up.

First, let's parse the name. Most deep dish I see posted on the internet is NOT Chicago style, yet most people feel the need to insert that word "Chicago" in front of "Deep Dish", no matter how heretical it may be. Bottom line is there are a lot of deep dish pizzas out there, many quite good, but only some of these qualify as Chicago Style. Nothing wrong with making and enjoying those other pies, just don't offend a great city by calling it Chicago Style when it's not.

So what makes it "Chicago Style"? To me, it comes down to two key things: The crust and the tomatoes.

First, the crust. Many people think Chicago Style pizza crust is similar to a loaf of bread -- very doughy. Others think there is cornmeal in the crust. Don't get me going on that one. Let's just say I agree with this:  http://www.realdeepdish.com/2009/05-06-pizza-rant-2-6-pat-bruno-im-calling-you-out/. Both of these are WRONG! The classic Chicago Style pizza crust, such as you'll find at Lou Malnati's, Pizzeria Uno, or Gino's East, has a biscuit-like texture. A bit crisp on the outside, giving way to a biscuity crumb on the inside. Again, if you like cornmeal in your dough or making pizza out of a loaf of bread, by all means keep doing it. Just don't call it Chicago Style or you'll be labeled either a heretic or a Cubs fan!

Next, the tomatoes on a Chicago Style pizza have a distinctly bright flavor, and are usually a bit chunky as well. The closest I've come to replicating that flavor is with a particular brand: 6-in-1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes. They aren't chunky enough, but the flavor is spot on and you can always add some high quality diced or hand crushed tomatoes for chunkiness.

Let's start with the dough. Here's my favorite dough recipe for a 13" Deep Dish pizza. The recipe you'll find at http://www.realdeepdish.com is also excellent and I used to make one very similar to that, but I like this better:

350g AP Flour - 95%
20g Semolina - 5%
170g Water - 46%
64g Corn oil (17%)
14g Olive oil (4%)
1/4 tsp Salt - (.35%)
1/2 tsp Sugar - (.5%)
2g instant dry yeast - (.5%)

First, mix all the dry ingredients except for the yeast, then pour in the oil. Remember, since we're not making bread, we're trying to *avoid* gluten formation, so we don't want to proof the yeast and we don't want to over-knead the dough.

IMG_2121.jpg

Partially mix in the oil, then add the water and partially mix that too. Then sprinkle the yeast on top.

IMG_2122.jpg

Stir that in until just barely combined, then knead the dough in the bowl with one hand for no more than two minutes. Now cover it with plastic and let it rise in the oven with only the oven light on for heat for up to five hours. It will rise, but not much.

IMG_2123.jpg

While that's going on, we also want to drain the tomatoes in a strainer over a cereal bowl.  Some people like to spoon them right from the can. I prefer to let the water drain out so that the pizza isn't too wet.

IMG_2124.jpg

I also like to de-fat my pepperoni so that we don't get a grease slick on top. Put the pepperoni on a plate between paper towel sheets, then nuke for 30 seconds. Amazing how much grease is pulled out.

IMG_2126.jpg

Sliced and sautéed my onion for just a bit. No pics of that. Instead I give you my fancy new teak cutting board. Sweet, no?

IMG_2127.jpg

After five hours, the dough has risen, but gluten matrix is weak to non-existent. No way that dough would pass the windowpane test.

IMG_2128.jpg

Grease my decades old, highly seasoned steel deep dish pizza pan. I've been doing deep dish pizza much longer than I've been doing barbecue. Bought this one while I was still in college and realized the need to master this before leaving Illinois for good.

IMG_2129.jpg

Spread the dough, and pinch it half way up those two inch sides.

IMG_2130.jpg

You can use 8 to 16 ounces of mozzarella, depending on how cheesy you want it. This mozzarella is from a cow I own in the Shenandoah Valley, then delivered the whole, unpasteurized milk to an Italian Grandmother nearby to make the cheese for me.

IMG_2132.jpg

I lied. Safeway had this in stock. I'm using 12 ounces of the stuff.

IMG_2131.jpg

Then top the cheese with the sautéed onions.

IMG_2133.jpg

Now ready for the tomatoes. Here's what they look like after draining all afternoon.

IMG_2134.jpg

Look at all that water.

IMG_2135.jpg

Most, but not all of the drained tomatoes go on the pie.

IMG_2136.jpg

Now sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano. I prefer fresh basil, but none available today.

IMG_2137.jpg

Grate some parmesan directly on top.

IMG_2138.jpg

Then all of that de-fatted pepperoni.

IMG_2139.jpg

Onto the KK at 450.

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Turn it after about 15 minutes. Don't know if I really needed to do that in the KK, but always do it in the oven and it's a habit,

IMG_2143.jpg

And after about 15 minutes more, we're ready.

IMG_2151.jpg

Let it rest for five minutes.

IMG_2153.jpg

Remove it from the pan.

IMG_2154.jpg

Plated.

IMG_2155.jpg

Perfect. Here's the bottom.

IMG_2158.jpg

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keith OctoForks said:

IDK if I've ever had a Chicago style pie other than maybe Godfathers?   We have this http://www.oleys.net/  (look for the deep dish)

Words can't describe how good it is.   If I ever have the patience "If" I'd love to try your recipe!    It's a labor of love no doubt :)

I'm in Ft. Wayne periodically for work. I'll have to ask my folks there about Oley's. 

You're close enough that I'd recommend a pizza crawl! Start downtown and hit the original Pizzeria Uno (NOT the heretical chain of the same name), Malnati's, and Gino's East. Then head to the south side and hit the original Aurelio's in Homewood for thin crust (my first stop whenever I return home). Move over to Sanfratellos for a completely different deep dish. The original has closed, but they still have locations in Dyer, IN. And if you're still hungry head down to Champaign-Urbana and sample Papa Del's. Different take on deep dish, but totally awesome. Almost forgot! Must get a stuffed spinach pizza from Edwardo's in Chicago, and Giordano's as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

I'm in Ft. Wayne periodically for work. I'll have to ask my folks there about Oley's. 

You're close enough that I'd recommend a pizza crawl! Start downtown and hit the original Pizzeria Uno (NOT the heretical chain of the same name), Malnati's, and Gino's East. Then head to the south side and hit the original Aurelio's in Homewood for thin crust (my first stop whenever I return home). Move over to Sanfratellos for a completely different deep dish. The original has closed, but they still have locations in Dyer, IN. And if you're still hungry head down to Champaign-Urbana and sample Papa Del's. Different take on deep dish, but totally awesome. Almost forgot! Must get a stuffed spinach pizza from Edwardo's in Chicago, and Giordano's as well.

You know your ZA places!   BTW I just ordered an Oley's pizza just because of this post!   The urge for a deep dish pie was just to much to resist. lol

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I made this exact post over at Amazing Ribs a few days ago. It was immediately stickied by a moderator, and one of the old gents there replied with an awesome story of how he knew Ike Sewell (founder of Uno's), Rudy Malnati, and the other kingpins and creators of authentic Chicago Style Deep Dish back in "the day" when it was up and coming. Said he's going to make my recipe just for the memories. WOW! How cool is that?? :shock::)

Posted an earlier version of this at the Guru and I think it died a quick death with someone (NOT a Chicagoan) commenting about the awesomeness of the ATK "Chicago" Deep Dish Recipe...cornmeal crust and all... :smt046  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tony b said:

Very kewl!

One of the reasons that I don't post over there - too many haters. 

I don't know if it's haters as much as they have a narrowband filter that centers on Kamado Joe and traditional cooking. Don't post there nearly as much as I used to. Starting to like Amazing Ribs a lot more and poking back in at the Brethren more for the diversity of cookers and cook styles.