tony b

Not exactly your everyday pig

Picked up this rack of Wild Boar ribs from D'Artagnan. Today was a nice day to cook them up and see if there's something special here?

002a.jpg

With a big fat cap on the top, I cross-hatched it and rubbed it down with some CYM and this rub, which I've found is pretty tame for Dizzy Pig. I wanted the taste of the Boar to come through without a lot of other stuff going on.

004a.jpg

All rubbed down and rested overnight in the fridge.

005.JPG

Onto the KK @ 250F, indirect, with Guru, and smoking pot with Maple and Apple woods.

006.JPG

Pulled at IT of 180F (about 5 hours).

008.JPG

Ready for my close-up Mr. DeMIlle.

010a.jpg

Sliced.

011a.jpg

Plated with some sauteed green beans and potatoes au gratin.

014a.jpg

The fat on this pig was amazing - decadent!  It's a very lean meat, so it was a tad on the dry side. Given the price point on this (even on sale), I'll stick to the local heritage piggies. 

Be-de, be-de, be-de, That's All Folks! 

• Like 4

Thanks, all! Had a couple of bones for breakfast this morning with fried eggs. Dunking the meat in the yolks cured the dry part and the fat was better than bacon! Might rethink my earlier decision and try again - lower the IT next time to like 165F and/or inject it. 

@PRippley - it was wine, Bonny Doon vineyard 2014 Old Telegram (Mourvedre). But, I did go down to the local brewery (Lion Bridge) for lunch to help celebrate their 3rd anniversary. Irish Stout on nitro with vanilla cake - great combo! :occasion6: :occasion5:

• Like 2