Pequod

First Cook: Spinning Ribs

That's a lot of Fogo.

IMG_2215.JPG

Going old school today. No smoke pot or cold smoker. Just wood chunks on the coals.

IMG_2217.JPG

Somebody impaled my ribs. 

IMG_2218.JPG

I'll get a better vid later. These three racks barely take up any room. Could easily fit eight racks in there. Need more OctoForks!

Those are full size racks. The OctoForks easily extended to accommodate and they cleared the walls fine on spinning. First turn they hit the coals, so had to dig a small trench. Rotating cleanly now. 

• Like 3

Here they are done after three hours. Last vid!

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Comments on the BB32 post first cook: everything you'd expect from a KK, but more. If anything, it seemed a bit more agile on the temps than my 23. Maybe I'm imagining it, or maybe I just need to do more cooks to confirm, or maybe it's that the gas port door is locked tight.

Comments on OctoForks: the self-basting effect is noticeable. The ribs had the perfect glaze just from spinning. No sauce added or needed. Cooked a bit faster as Keith said too. These took just over three hours. And you can see from the vids what sort of capacity I have by spinning vertical. Another thing I like is...no messy grates! And I have full access to the coals the entire cook, so I can easily add more smoke wood if I want. Only one OctoForks cook under my belt, but I'm thinking Keith has something here. I see myself using these a lot. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

Those ribs look awesome the more and more i see these octoforks in action the more i need to get me some 

Great videos my friend

I'm thinking KK + spit rod + OctoForks is a winning combination. You've got the moist environment of a kamado, the extended distance to the firebox of the KK (which you won't find in ordinary Kamado's) giving you greater clearance for spinning, AND the OctoForks maxing the capacity and extending the range of what you can spin. Hard to beat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Nice spin these forks are proving to be really good

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Knowing how you like a good spin, I suspect you'd like these a lot. You could probably spin a spatched 'roo or a whole drop bear with these babies  

Unfortunately, I now hit the road today for a grueling month of travel. But home on weekends, and starting to look like I might even get a break for the week of the 19th. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 8:01 PM, HalfSmoke said:

I'm thinking KK + spit rod + OctoForks is a winning combination. You've got the moist environment of a kamado, the extended distance to the firebox of the KK (which you won't find in ordinary Kamado's) giving you greater clearance for spinning, AND the OctoForks maxing the capacity and extending the range of what you can spin. Hard to beat. 

It's great to see others experience the types of things I have using OctoForks for meats like this.   Those ribs looked amazing btw.  The glaze that develops still blows  me away...and wait till you try basting with a bbq glaze while they're spinning.   Oh my that can be good!  I have a homemade apple cider vinegar based glaze I use that's a spin off from my pulled pork finishing sauce if you want to try it. 

Edited by Keith OctoForks

6 hours ago, Keith OctoForks said:

It's great to see others experience the types of things I have using OctoForks for meats like this.   Those ribs looked amazing btw.  The glaze that develops still blows  me away...and wait till you try basting with a bbq glaze while they're spinning.   Oh my that can be good!  I have a homemade apple cider vinegar based glaze I use that's a spin off from my pulled pork finishing sauce if you want to try it. 

Heck yeah. Do tell. 

17 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Heck yeah. Do tell. 

It's very simple and delicious.  Here's the finishing sauce

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no  corn syrup)

TB red pepper flakes

TS worstershire sauce

1/4 cup  brown sugar

TS salt

TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving. 

For a rib/chicken glaze type of sauce I just cut the apple cider vinegar in half, cut back a little on the ketchup, triple the brown sugar and add in 2 tablespoons of whatever rub I use.  

• Like 1