Pequod

Sourdough Pizza

The one thing I remember about all the Neapolitan style sourdough I used to make for pizzas:   The dough was just super super tender.  Stretching was kind of a chore to get it stretched to even 10" without tearing.   I had not tried incorporating bread flour to the final mix ... maybe that would have made a difference, dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dstr8 said:

The one thing I remember about all the Neapolitan style sourdough I used to make for pizzas:   The dough was just super super tender.  Stretching was kind of a chore to get it stretched to even 10" without tearing.   I had not tried incorporating bread flour to the final mix ... maybe that would have made a difference, dunno.

I've done sourdough with straight Caputo 00 (59% hydration and 70% hydration), KA Pizza Blend (65% and 70%), and All Trumps (65% and 70%). Of these, the KA Pizza Blend is the worst at any hydration -- tears easily. Tastes good, but not a fan of this flour. Caputo 00 at 59% was troublesome, but I think I made a number of errors that day, so doesn't count. Caputo at 70% stretched easily. All Trumps is a champ -- never any problems with All Trumps and it makes great pizza too.

9 hours ago, dstr8 said:

9 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

I've done sourdough with straight Caputo 00 (59% hydration and 70% hydration), KA Pizza Blend (65% and 70%), and All Trumps (65% and 70%). Of these, the KA Pizza Blend is the worst at any hydration -- tears easily. Tastes good, but not a fan of this flour. Caputo 00 at 59% was troublesome, but I think I made a number of errors that day, so doesn't count. Caputo at 70% stretched easily. All Trumps is a champ -- never any problems with All Trumps and it makes great pizza too.

My issue with the crust was stretching the taste was good, thinking about doing what dstr8 said a 50/50 mix of bread and all purpose flours. HalfSmoke you make the second person in recent weeks to mention Trumps flour to use for bread and pizza, have been using KA flour and I like it so probably stick to them. Overall the pizza was good and I like the sourdough tang I got my starter is young so as it ages the flavor will be more pronounced!

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque

2 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

My issue with the crust was stretching the taste was good, thinking about doing what dstr8 said a 50/50 mix of bread and all purpose flours. HalfSmoke you make the second person in recent weeks to mention Trumps flour to use for bread and pizza, have been using KA flour and I like it so probably stick to them. Overall the pizza was good and I like the sour dough tang I got my starter is young so as it ages the flavor will be more pronounced!

Garvin

You won't see much difference by mixing KA bread and AP flours. High hydration doughs - and 70% is high hydration for pizza - can be hard to work with. Maybe try taking it down to 66% but stick with the same KA flour. 

• Like 1

I like my 50/50 blend of Caputo 00 and KA bread flour; so much so I'm not changing it.   It gives me good stretch but the fine/smooth texture and resulting cornicione from the finer and softer 00 flour.   I don't think I would see the same results using a blend of AP and bread flour.  

• Like 1