erik6bd

Digital controllers

Do you use a digital controller on your KK?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a digital controller on your KK?

• Yes
    • No
    • There is really no need on the KK

7 hours ago, erik6bd said:

Do you use a digital controller on your KK? Do you feel you need to use one?

Need to use one? No, not at all. I think I did once because I have one and wanted to see if it still works. It does.

You'll get other opinions, though. I think Rob - @5698k - uses his quite a bit. 

52 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I use a cyberQ as a thermometer.. 
Love to monitor my cooks from my iPhone but don't use the fan.
The probes are commercial/industrial quality and last.. the mavericks and simular $40-$60 units have little weenie armored cables that just don't last if you cook all the time.

No little weenie's for me... I want the BIG kielbasa... something that will last awhile. Lol I too would like to use it for temps as I am home pretty much 24/7 so no need for wifi really so I'm thinking the DigiQ would do the trick for what I'm needing.

Edited by erik6bd

I have a DigiQ-II. I only use it on low & slow cooks that are over several hours long - mainly briskets and pork butts/shoulders. I just like the "security blanket" aspect of it, especially if you want to do an overnight cook - you'll get more sleep not worrying about it. Needed? Nope! I owned the Guru prior to buying the KK; otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bought it. 

To your other question about "hot & fast briskets" - everything is the same, except you cook them at 325F - 350F degrees. Shortens the cooking time a lot, since you can power through the stall better at these higher temps. I've done both techniques and there isn't a ton of difference in the results. I get more variability based upon the quality of meat that I'm smoking than the temperature that I cook it at. 

• Like 1

For me part of using a BBQ is the meditation of kicking back and tending a fire.  I use a Thermopen for checking the temps of the products in the cooker, and a timer to keep track of cooking times through the various phases of the cook.

BTW, interesting stats on the results of the Poll.  One cancels the other! :-)

Edited by FotonDrv
Poll results.

I don't do a lot of low and slow cooks. When I do one, I use my Heater Meter occasionally. I don't NEED it, but it's fun to use. I didn't need it on my KJ, either.

If I were doing an overnight cook, I'd use it for the peace of mind.