erik6bd

Temp of Dome Vs Grate Level what one do you go by for slow and low

I never use a grate probe for any cooks. Only dome temperature  but I did replace my Tel-tru dome thermometers with Thermoworks Smoke probes to give me remote monitoring of my dome temperatures. A totally lazy enhancement on my part. Wouldn't want to put down my adult beverage to get up and look at my dome temperatures - LOL 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 3

I never use a grate probe for any cooks. Only dome temperature  but I did replace my Tel-tru dome thermometers with Thermoworks Smoke probes to give me remote monitoring of my dome temperatures. A totally lazy enhancement on my part. Wouldn't want to put down my adult beverage to get up and look at my dome temperatures - LOL 

Do both pork butt and now the brisket seems to stall at 158° for a super long period. Is that normal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, erik6bd said:

Do both pork butt and now the brisket seems to stall at 158° for a super long period. Is that normal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Every piece of meat and cook will be different. Different stall temps for different times. Has to do with the amount of fat and temperature you cooked at. A higher cooking temperature with less fat will give you a shorter stall. 

Every piece of meat and cook will be different. Different stall temps for different times. Has to do with the amount of fat and temperature you cooked at. A higher cooking temperature with less fat will give you a shorter stall. 

Do you foil your brisket at 170?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On low-n-slow cooks I go by grate because that is the  temp my cook sees.  If I'm doing multi-level cooks, then it really doesn't matter.  I still use lower grate temp as a guide, but I really go by by the temp of the various cooks.  One can be 165F and the other 180F.  I"m much less concerned by Dome vs. Grate than I am the temps of my cooks.  As rock solid as the KK is, 225, 250, 275, who really cares?  At least that is the way I feel about it.

HOWEVER, on pizza cooks in the dome, I definitely go dome and heck YES! I use the dome thermometer.  

6 hours ago, erik6bd said:

Do you foil your brisket at 170?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To foil or not to foil and what temperature to foil at? Also foil or butchers paper? All more factors that effect the stall. 

Best not to ask me about brisket. One piece of meat that I have never had spectacular results with. Although admittedly I haven't tried to many times. 

I have found that with a long indirect cook, my grate temp and dome temp are nearly identical providing the grate probe is also placed where it gets indirect heat. 

I no longer wrap with foil. I have only done a couple of briskets but went with the Aaron Franklin method of pink butcher paper. I may try my next one without any wrap just to see how it affects the bark. 

I'm sold on the pink butcher paper for brisket. Not a fan of foil on brisket (makes the crust mushy). I generally wrap my briskets around 170F - AFTER they come out of the stall. I never wrap my butts or ribs on the grill. If I need to hold the meat until dinner time, I'll double wrap them in foil when the come off the grill, wrap that in a big towel, and toss into a cooler. It will stay hot for hours. 

At very low temps (225F) the stall can last several hours, depending on the quality of the meat. The key here is patience. If you get jammed up for time (guests waiting for food), you can crank up the temperature (325F) and power through it. The classic difference between Low & Slow and Hot & Fast. 

22 hours ago, ckreef said:

replace my Tel-tru dome thermometers with Thermoworks Smoke probes to give me remote monitoring of my dome temperatures. A totally lazy enhancement on my part. Wouldn't want to put down my adult beverage to get up and look at my dome temperatures - LOL 

:drinkers:  Cook a little then :drinkers:  cook some more :occasion5:  Share the food and cheer!

• Like 1