erik6bd

Looking for a killer Tri Tip recipe

Those are some really nice looking Choice Tips and the price is right.

Oak Ridge Santa Maria rub or SPOG and cook indirect around 250* until internal temp is around 120*, then ramp up the heat and flip the top grate over the coals and sear for 3-5 mins a side, form that nice char. Don't let it go over 130*

Remember to slice against the grain and on the bias. I love this cut, best beef flavor!!!

• Like 1

I'm a big Santa Maria style for tri-tips. I use Oakridge BBQ's Santa Maria rub. Killer! Also, why I try and keep some red oak around. I'm currently out, so need to order more from Fruita. I typically use the splits. 

Dozer's cooking tips are spot on - medium rare is the way to go. It is also amenable to reverse searing. I've done both techniques with equal success. 

• Like 2

Costco tri-tips are very consistent.   I've seen "Prime" grade tri-tips at Costco on occasion but usually the less expensive "Choice" grade has at least or often times more fat marbling than their Prime grade.  

I've cooked them a myriad of ways but prefer simple kosher salt & fresh course ground black pepper and hot smoke grilled over cocochar lump with Red Oak chunks (Santa Maria style).   I pull them when they get to 125F internal and then tent very loosely with foil for a minimum 15-minute rest ... 20-minutes is even better.   

• Like 1