FotonDrv

32" BB in my future

Hi Stephen!    I assume the 32" is crated like the 23's ... therefore the only things that are separate really are the SS grates, charcoal basket and side shelves (if ordered).   You basically uncrate, roll the KK off the shipping crate/platform and to its final destination.   You could, with enough manpower, remove the top but that's not really going to help.   Or maybe use a cherry picker/small crane if the route is too narrow.   

At the Monterey house we had to roll it through the house removing a couple doors as the outside route to the patio had steep stairs to deal with.    

Edited by dstr8

10 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Hi Stephen!    I assume the 32" is crated like the 23's ... therefore the only things that are separate really are the SS grates, charcoal basket and side shelves (if ordered).   You basically uncrate, roll the KK off the shipping crate/platform and to its final destination.   You could, with enough manpower, remove the top but that's not really going to help.   Or maybe use a cherry picker/small crane if the route is too narrow.   

At the Monterey house we had to roll it through the house removing a couple doors as the outside route to the patio had steep stairs to deal with.    

Dan, the most narrow point is 35" and that is off road on an inclined gravel/dirt path.  OR, through a 35" doorway, a sharp 90 degree turn and down a short 9 steps low rise stairway.

From the waterfront road it is a no-go for sure and a crane, a big one, could not lower it onto the patio.  A forklift can get it to the other side of the garage which is where the stairs are going to and the garage door is to the right of this rough pathway between fence and garage foundation.  The pathway is the widest point @ 50" and the gateway with a tree trunk to corner of the building is 40" tight and located to the right of the MINI.

If the top was removable then manhandling it around and down that path might be possible with 4 men.  With the interior liners removed that would help too, if those things are possible.

So you and Ryan can see the dilemma.

DSCN0339_2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_122.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_42a.jpeg

FotonDrv  The lid is very easy to remove, you will need to remove the rear stainless hinge cover with the supplied allen key that we weld into a long T to make access to the bolts easier. Then with the lid open you will loosen the spring tension and remove the large spring. Then remove the cotter pin from the hinge pin and tap it out. The lid can now be removed and set onto some towels or blankets, taking care not to put the weight of the lid onto the very edge of the lid which can focus all the weight onto one or two tiles which makes those tiles unhappy.   The lid weighs 194lbs and the rolling base weighs 512 lbs and comes with a rope harness with four loops.  These are very helpful and make carrying it down stairs easier for four men (128lbs each)

Please feel free to call me should you have any questions or there is anything I can do for you.
;-)
Dennis
VoIP/skype toll free call to Indonesia:
• Los Angeles  (424) 270-1948

KK-Site-CompareGallery-32.jpg

Thanks Dennis:-) 

Do the interior liners remove for further weight reduction?

I can see by the dimensions of this beast that it was designed to be taken through a large standard doorway,  Kudos to the design team!

I could possibly turn the shallow stairs into a temporary ramp and use a hand winch to roll it down the stairs gently, keeping in mind it will want to tip over.  Wide cargo straps are my friend.  The last large thing I moved was a 715LB planer across my shop and up into a pickup truck and it too was top heavy.  Got to pay attention to the center of gravity and remember that Murphy is on the payroll.

Thanks for the input so now it is just convincing my wife :-)

Stephen

looking at Dennis diagram there and knowing that 35" is the smallest opening you should be good to go.  I would go down the side of the house using a few pieces of plywood with some friends helping down the hill of course.  leave the blue ropes on a good group with some 2x4s can lift that anywhere it needs to go.  

FWIW - I had to bring my 23" through the house to get onto my deck. I have a split foyer, so the KK needed to go up 8 steps from the garage to the living room. I built a 3/4" plywood ramp. Took the top off to help with not only weight, but to lower the center of gravity a bit. Five of us (3 pulling on ropes from the top of the stairs, and 2 of us pushing from below) got it up the steps without any hassles. Also, use a big cargo strap and not the handle to secure the ropes. Two of the guys carried the lid out. Lid goes off and on easy/peasy, just like Dennis outlined. 

@fotondrv, I strongly suggest you get a structural engineer to evaluate your deck construction before parking that 32 BB on it. Decks just aren't designed to support loads like that and you could be looking at (best case) a gradual failure. Worst case is the deck collapses with no warning. And that firepit is already beyond design load unless there's posts and beams under it.

I frame houses and decks for a living, I've been in residential construction for 25 years and there's no way I would advise any of my customers to put a thousand-pound load on a deck unless it was specifically designed for it.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but Mother Nature is a bitch and gravity is one of the tools she uses to get our attention.

Best,

Bill

Edited by billg71

Like the man said, and I am always reminding myself - Gravity never loses! When I had my deck built (back when I had the POSK), I had that corner of the deck specifically reinforced for the load and I used ironwood for that corner of the decking (it's one of only 2 woods that won't float and it doesn't support combustion - it will smolder but not flame.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billg71 said:

@fotondrv, I strongly suggest you get a structural engineer to evaluate your deck construction before parking that 32 BB on it. Decks just aren't designed to support loads like that and you could be looking at (best case) a gradual failure. Worst case is the deck collapses with no warning. And that firepit is already beyond design load unless there's posts and beams under it.

I frame houses and decks for a living, I've been in residential construction for 25 years and there's no way I would advise any of my customers to put a thousand-pound load on a deck unless it was specifically designed for it.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but Mother Nature is a bitch and gravity is one of the tools she uses to get our attention.

Best,

Bill

It is a concrete slab that is behind 8" concrete walls and 8ft off the ground.  You could park a small bulldozer on it, the problem is just getting it there.  I worked in the construction engineering field all my life and now I am old and you would not believe some of the things I have seen or friends have moved, like disassembling a Bobcat and carrying it through a home and putting it back together in the backyard to dig a pool, and then reverse the drill.  A similare deck right above it has had a 1 ton truck utility truck and a Suburban parked on it without problems for 20 years.  So, no rain on this parade unless of course it rains on delivery day :-)

I drove tanks in the military and owned my own bulldozer so rigging things when working in the woods skidding logs and tying things to objects is second nature.  I even moved a house that a trucker dropped off the foundation incorrectly back 2 feet onto its foundation.

As you can see there is already 44 cement blocks plus 2 layers of firebrick in this open pit or smoker when the lid is on it.  The copper hood adds no weight on the slab :-)  When I designed and built this home/remodel we poured 120 yds of concrete and blocked a major road for a day with one of the 2 boom pumper trucks we hired.  We line pumped another 8 yards later to reinforce an existing foundation.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

fullsizeoutput_122.jpeg

Edited by FotonDrv
Adding image

28 minutes ago, dstr8 said:

^ So Stephen, what color are you getting? :D

Probably the peeble finish in Olive and Gold, although Creme and Gold would also work depending on which photo on the web page you look at; they seem to very in color with the same name but a different sku.

And yes Charles, paying a structural engineer would be pointless for me since I used to check their work to see if they missed something in the details, which they often did.  My last engineering position was at the naval shipyard in facilities and maintenance doing as built drawings of every building in the shipyard.  Real archeology! 

Edited by FotonDrv
spelling

On 11/16/2016 at 10:28 AM, FotonDrv said:

Probably the pebble finish in Olive and Gold, although Creme and Gold would also work depending on which photo on the web page you look at; they seem to vary in color with the same name but a different sku.

In the web store each grill listed is unique, those are not SKUs but inventory/build numbers.  Those are shots of that actual grill.
The tiles vary from  batch to batch and box to box.. we sort them to make them as uniform in color and shade/tone. 

9 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

So I guess it boils down to the computer monitor and cameras used as to what we see on our screens.  I sure do like the color selection and once I get my wife to pick one then our order will be placed.  Pretty excited:-)

At times there is more inventory in LA then what's shown on the website. When I bought my 19" there were 4 in inventory in my color even though only one was shown. Dennis sent me pictures of all 4 so I could make a final pick before ordering. This was really important to me since I was try to color match my 16" as closely as possible.