LarryR

Building outdoor kitchen design input needed

Starting my outdoor kitchen design and thought I'd see what others are doing for something that comes-up when I'm grilling that I'd like to design into my area. For those of  you who have an outdoor kitchen/grilling area did you build something in for temporary grate placement? What I mean is when I start a cook I take the lid off my Weber kettle, open KK and move the grate to my kettle, shake off ash, pour in more fuel, light, put grate back on, and wait for her to come to temp. Then I open her up, take hot grate off, put her on the kettle, stir coals, add wood, add deflector, put grate back on.

I'd like to design something into my new unit to do this. I'm building in a Weber Summit which I suppose I could move the grates to the Summit grates but I'd prefer not. Any ideas, anyone else addressed this in a build? Sorry for the rambling process above, hope readers understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

Edited by LarryR

I had thought about something similar myself both for doing the task you mentioned as well as storage for the others when I'm not using them. I was thinking a pullout shelf that is slightly recessed to hold the grate in place and some type of non-combustible surface like tile. I also thought about cutting a large hole so that it would only be touching the outer edges of the grate to cut down on the mess it would make. 

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

If you have to do any spring adjustments, will you be able to access it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great question, yes I'm going to leave the back open, think of a U with a break at the bottom of the U where my KK will sit. There's room behind the KK to work on it. Great observation, honestly one I hadn't thought of, just dumb luck I suppose.