SmallBBQr

KK Cold Weather Question(s)

Just curious if any KK owners are using them regularly in VERY cold weather.  How are heat-up times lengthened?  How are tiles/grouting holding up (any additional stress, expansion, contraction etc.)

Winter here is regularly -20 to -30 Celsius starting mid to late November and can last into early March (I mean not every day or anything...we get extra cold snaps, warmer days etc., but average temps are pretty low).  Would love to hear any comments, experiences etc.  I'm waiting for the 21's to arrive and probably pulling the trigger on soon, but curious on who else is using in colder climates?

Just popped into my head as well - I am wondering if the seals would freeze up with condensation after cooks?  Does moisture drip from the inside down to the seals area?

Alberta winters can cause havoc on the best of products - issues you don't see in many parts of the world show up here (and in other extreme climates).....any other Alberta owners? 

Edited by SmallBBQr

While Iowa might not be quite as cold as Alberta, we can see winter temps in single digits below zero (Fahrenheit). Not had a problem with my KK dealing with the cold.

I typically don't cook on mine when it's that cold. I will cook during the winter when it's above 20F (still below freezing) and not had an icing problem. 

One tip - when it's that cold, remove your dome thermometer, as it will under-range and throw off the calibration.

I do grill all winter long and I do keep my grills undercover and have had no problems related to moisture.  -20 to -30C is pretty cold and I might not want to be out on the deck myself in that range. I did buy a small KK for the sole purpose of a faster heat up durning the winter, bought the 16.5 inch and have had no problems but your grilling space is limited and the grates are closer to the fire which you have to keep in mind. I am very happy with it and it is also easier for me to roll out than the 21 inch high top KK. In the winter, if it is really cold, I usually position the KK just in font of the sliding glass door so I can see the temp from in the house and actually tend to the food on the the grate without even putting my winter jacket on and stepping outside. :) 

@SmallBBQr - as I recall, we've had KK Family members from Alaska who  have cooked all winter long.  Last I checked, Alaska is pretty cold during winter.  I don't think you'll have any trouble.

As for times to get up to temp, of course it'll take longer than it would in summer, but you'll have that problem with any kamado.  How much longer for the KK over any other kamado, hard to tell.  What model are you looking at?  More mass will necessarily mean more time. 

When I heat soak (for low-n-slow cooks) TheBeast, I really don't worry too much about time.  I just light my fire, set my vents for the temp I want, set up TheBeast, throw the cook on the grate, and close everything up.  No big deal.  I've also lit the fire, closed up TheBeast , and heat soaked for hours overnight, and then gotten up and set the cook on the grate early in the morning.  Differential fuel consumption isn't really a factor because these cookers are so efficient.

You might want to speak directly with Dennis and you should also check out an area of this Forum that deals with actually seeing a KK in various locals.  Check for Alaska.  Maybe you could contact them directly through a PM here.

I find no difference at all cooking in winter on my kk as when i had my bge i cook all winter long in frigid temps and snow ect and i have no issues at all the difference is the kk is way more efficient so cold is a no factor..i too have no issues with moisture ect...i do recommend a cover the reason i got one cause of my extreme temp changes in the weather

• Like 1