jarraa

Rectangular Baking Steel fit on upper grate of 23 Supreme?

7 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I use my baking stone from Dennis all the time.  It works better than any baking steel I've ever seen.  I'd get the baking stone Dennis supplies before I'd ever buy a steel.

Glad to see you up and feeling better, Dennis!

I have to disagree with this. Sorry.  :smt002  The steel excels for thin crust pizza, giving perfectly leopard spotted crusts. The stone is best for lower heat transfer applications and longer bakes, like bread or thicker pizzas. Also, flip over the steel and, if you purchased the griddle, you have the perfect surface for smash burgers. I use my steel a LOT both inside and outside. Extremely versatile. Need to think of the  steel and the KK stone as being for different applications. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 3

Sorry cc i would have to disagree as well baking steel is far better if you want that crispier crust plus you can use lower temp to get the steel to 700 plus degrees that is why Dennis tried to roll out the kk baking steel to us but ran into issues with supplier 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jarraa said:

Hi Folks, 

I was wondering if any of you know if a 16 in by 14 in by 3/8 in Baking steel slab will fit on the upper grate of the 23 inch supreme? Thinking of getting that as my primary Pizza stone.

Thanks!

-Assad

Is that 16 inch deep or is the 16 inch width of the steel

Thanks for all the replies!

@Stile88 this is what I am talking about: https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/steels/products/modernist-cuisine-special-edition

@Pequod When talking to Dennis he recommended the one I linked to (3/8 inch thick). Is there a griddle version that is also 3/8 inch thick that I can use for both thin crust Pizza's and a griddle in the house?

5 minutes ago, jarraa said:

Thanks for all the replies!

@Stile88 this is what I am talking about: https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/steels/products/modernist-cuisine-special-edition

@Pequod When talking to Dennis he recommended the one I linked to (3/8 inch thick). Is there a griddle version that is also 3/8 inch thick that I can use for both thin crust Pizza's and a griddle in the house?

I just measued my stone  the problem you are going to have with the upper grate is it curves in and the welded handles in the front will allow it but the back where it curves in wont i have 15 1/2 side to side but 17 is the dept 

If you had a 14 by 16 would work perfect 

You could call or email baking steel they do custom work 

38 minutes ago, jarraa said:

@Stile88 The link I sent (Modernist Cuisine version) shows a 14 X 16 with cut off edges - so that version should work according to your measurements, right? Thanks again for measuring for me. Much appreciated. 

-Assad

Yes it will work you just flip it to the 14 width

Edited by Stile88

19 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

Its saying 16 by 14 in your link if 16 is side to side or width then no it wont work but if its 16 front to back and the 14 is the width yes it would 

Confirm with baking steel and i know you can have them flip the measurements to 14 width by 16 deep 

Or you could just rotate it 90 degrees?

I have the KK baking stone and love it for bread and thick pizzas, it does produce an even heat, top and bottom if the KK is properly heat soaked. I have 2 Baking Steels, the Modernist one and a 15 inch griddle. They are great in the kitchen stove for pizza and great on top of the stove for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches and English muffins. I have used the 15 inch griddle, flipped over for my last pizza on the KK and it did a fine job but I would not have wanted the bottom any darker. Verdict, both have their places. :)

• Like 4

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I agree with MacKenzie that both have their places, but IF I could only have one, I would take the steel over the stone any day.  I use my baking steel FAR more often than the stone - biggest reason is I love searing on it.   It also works very well for doing in-oven pizza under the broiler.  A little bit of ghee to final sear that steak is freakin amazing!!

One thing we do which may be a little outside the norm is use it a cooling stone for charcuterie plates.  Throw it in the deep freeze for a few hours and then cover it with foil or parchment and your meat and cheese stay nicely chilled longer.

One suggestion....if you don't mind the extra weight, get the thickest one you can!  1/2 inch would be great!!  The more thermal mass the better.

Edited by SmallBBQr
  • Like 3

@MacKenzie Do you find much of a difference between the Modernist and the 15 inch griddle version on the KK when making thin crust pizza or cooking fish etc? Also, how does the 15 inch griddle fair on the stove? The reason we have a capital open burner range top and I was going to get the long skinny one to go across two burners for indoor use next year or so. I am probably going to land up buying both Dennis's stone and the baking steel to start as we like to bake bread as well as love super thin crust pizza's.

@SmallBBQr I am going to have to check the weight differences and see if both me and the wife (she's the stronger one :)) is fine with lifting that on and off the KK. 

Thanks again for all the feedback.

-Assad

I have only done 1 pizza on the 15 inch griddle and it was on the KK. I do think that it does heat up a little faster than the Modernist one and I suppose it hold the heat longer.

It is far easier to lift the baking steel on and off the KK than it is getting it into and out of the oven. My oven is part of the stove so lower than a wall oven. It would be much easier to get the griddle into and out of the oven, a noticeable difference. The 15 inch round weighs 18 lbs and the Modernist weighs 22 pounds but 4 pounds at arms length feels more like an extra 20 pounds. :shock: