JDBBQ

another newbie question - how to use as smoker

I am still getting ready to order (talked to Dennis today).

Another maybe silly question - what are the ways to use the KK as a smoker - do you just drop the wood chips into the coals?  How frequently do you have to replace?  Do you get "smoking" results similar to the dedicated smokers out there (I am assuming yes or better with the KK, but just wanted to ask before making the big investment).

Also, can someone explain alternatives ?  cast iron smoke pot or cold smoker and how they work?

Thanks !

The cast iron smoke pot seems to be pretty popular here and that is the route I took. I use it for the low and slow cooks and it provides plenty of smoke for my taste. Dennis also sells a cold smoker that can be added to the built in port if you wanted more smoke. You could also use chunks or chips with holes punched in some foil. Lots of ways to approach it.

I have used many grills over the years from dedicated smokers (gas and electric), offset smokers, pellet grills, and Weber gas grills. The kk serves all my needs and gives me the control that I want so I don't have to stay up all night babysitting the grill.

• Like 1

You can simply put chunks into you coals before adding food, but what often happens is that the fire burns in a different direction than the wood. You'll find when cooking on a kk that very little coal is used, which means there really isn't much fire at all, so your food gets less smoke flavor than a stick burner will give you.

The cast iron pot is what I have gone to. A two quart cast iron Dutch oven with three 1/16" holes drilled in the bottom, put your chunks in the pot, the pot directly into the fire. This gives a good, clean smoke profile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The smoke pot is what I went to quite some time back.  It's simply a superior solution to the problem of making certain you get smoke on a cook.  Also, I use only chunks in the pot and I fill in the interstitial spaces with pellets.  That gives a really nice long smoke.

As for chips, that's what I use in Las Vegas to place bets.  

And absolutely yes, a kamado is every bit as good as a dedicated smoker and much more versatile.  My KKs roast, braise, bake, smoke, grill, and cook pizzas and desserts.  No dedicated smoker can do that.

• Like 2

Add me as another champion of the Dutch Oven smoker pot. Been using mine for years. It's truly the way to go on longer cooks so you get prolonged smoke. If you're just doing a quick grill, then you can just toss the chunks onto the coals. The only time I use chips is in Dennis' cold smoker attachment. Just did a batch of cold smoked salmon for a dinner party using it. Works great. I've smoked nuts and cheese with it too. 

Many of us here are fans of Fruita woods for chunks/chips. They have lots of variety and the quality is about the best out there. 

https://fruitawood.com/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egmiii said:

When do you guys typically put the smoke pot on the fire? As the grill is heating up or when the food goes on?

I put mine on about 10 minutes or so before I cook. I want to make sure I'm getting the thin blue before I put the food on. If not, then I need to nestle it a bit deeper in the coals. Easier to do if the food's not already on the grate.

• Like 3

Same here. I make sure that the fire is going well and the KK is coming up in temp. Then put the pot on top of the burning coals and add my grates. Wait for the temps to equilibrate after adding the cold grates, then wait for smoke and add food.

The reason that you put the holes in the bottom of the Dutch Oven is to force the smoke down into the fire to burn off the volatiles, so it's a bit more forgiving that the classic "wait for the thin blue smoke" to appear if you just toss wood chunks on top of the burning coals.

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1