tekobo

Is a Komodo Kamado Enough for All Your Grilling Needs?

Welcome to the KK Family.

I first went with the 23" KK.  Had the 32" was available I would have gone with the that instead.  That was 5 years ago.  I got the 32" this past February..  I do use the 23" as well but I prefer using the 32" and with the Basket Splitter I don't have to use a lot of Charcoal.

It's better to have more space then less.

If I was to summarise all the advice that I have received, I would say that a KK is indeed able to satisfy all your grilling needs but two or three KKs will do it even better and you should definitely maximise your real estate from the start.  With that in mind, I should have gone for the maximum I could fit into our chimney space.  Having measured up the area, we could actually get a 32" in with a 19"TT alongside sitting on a piece of furniture that would give us good storage space underneath.  That would be the logical choice.

The good news is that your various posts and utter passion about your particular choices reminded me of why I have loved KKs for so long.  They attracted me for their beauty.  So I went with what spoke to me.  I adore the shape of the 23".   And I prefer the idea of another free standing KK next to it, rather than a TT.  I love the idea that Dennis has put all his expertise and experience into the new 21".  I'll be getting one of the first.  It won't be perfect and I am sure Dennis will refine and evolve it over the years but I am OK with that.  I will have two new friends in my garden that will take my breath away whenever I look at, touch or use them.  I am looking forward to that feeling.  

• Like 3

Thank you all for your welcome and encouragement.  Waiting game now.  First wait is for Dennis to finish work on the 21" so we get a view on the actual size and price.  Hopefully that will be in the next week or so and we will have pictures of both the 21" and the 23" tiled in our colour choice.  Can't wait!

Unless things happen super fast, we may need to defer delivery until Nov as we are away for most of October.  In the meantime we have been preparing for our new KK.  Picked up half a cow from a farm on Friday (we didn't just run out and saw it in half - this was planned and it had been hanging at the abattoir for a tasty three weeks).  We cut up extra thick steaks and looked online to see how you Americans cut the brisket for barbecuing.  All the cuts are now vac packed and in the freezer, waiting for their future encounter with a KK.  Also making some salamis, all good and garlicky.  Looking forward to the time when I can actually smoke my bacon and sausages.  

Two bits of advice sought please.  Dennis talked about the four standard BBQ cooks but I was too focussed on matters KK to pay attention to what they were.  I think he said pork butt, brisket, ribs and ....?  The American style BBQ is a world that is new to me so any advice about what cuts to do and any good recipe books would be gratefully received.

The other bit of advice is around navigating the forum. I am bit of a social media phobe (no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no whatever the latest thing is) and this is my first venture onto a forum.  And what a forum it is!  My trouble is, i found a great post about accessories, the one where the guy listed the type of heat proof gloves he uses and the fact that he uses plant pot bases in place of a KK drip pan, but I can't find my way back.  Do you recognise the post?  Is there a way of book marking within the forum or should I just bookmark into my browser?  And finally, does the search feature work for you? It comes up blank for me even when I search for basic words like "rub" at the top level of the forum.  Lots to learn!

Chicken! That's the fourth meat.

For someone completely new to American BBQ, I recommend this: http://a.co/5t94SfY

However, KK's are so versatile, almost anything you'd cook inside works on your KK. We'd be interested in seeing KK cooking with an English twist. 

I think the post you want is this one: 

Edited by Pequod

43 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I think we definitely need to add the Milwaukee Compact blower to the list, this was also first suggested by Syzygies. It is awesome for all sorts of uses around the KK and not around the KK. :) 

I need to get one of those. I know it was posted elsewhere, but what is the model # again?

2 hours ago, Pequod said:

Chicken! That's the fourth meat.

For someone completely new to American BBQ, I recommend this: http://a.co/5t94SfY

However, KK's are so versatile, almost anything you'd cook inside works on your KK. We'd be interested in seeing KK cooking with an English twist. 

I think the post you want is this one: 

I see you have edited this post Pequod to say chicken is the fourth meat.  I glanced at your earlier post during a particularly dull meeting and I thought you bald statement of "Chicken!" was an assessment of my level of courage.  :-)

Yes, thanks, I was looking for Syzygies' post.  

• Like 1

If your new to Komodo type cookers, the book Komodo Smoker and Grill might be one to consider. I just ordered it based on recommendations even though I've used a small egg for years. 

I have a couple of Chris Lilly's books and the one from Arron Franklin and highly  recommend them.  

Forgot to mention Malcom Reed's site How To BBQ Right for it's video content  

Edited by Flht01
Added content

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

I see you have edited this post Pequod to say chicken is the fourth meat.  I glanced at your earlier post during a particularly dull meeting and I thought you bald statement of "Chicken!" was an assessment of my level of courage.  :-)

Yes, thanks, I was looking for Syzygies' post.  

I thought that might have sounded accusatory, so I thought I'd best clarify! :smt046

• Like 1

Thanks for the book recommendations  @Pequod  and @Flht01.  I have been able to locate them all on amazon.co.uk so all is well with globalism.

Concept of an English twist on barbecuing is funny.  I am actually a Nigerian masquerading as an Englander.  So you will be getting an African British twist on things when I finally get my hands on a KK.  Did I say all was well with globalism? :-) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Thanks for the book recommendations  @Pequod  and @Flht01.  I have been able to locate them all on amazon.co.uk so all is well with globalism.

Concept of an English twist on barbecuing is funny.  I am actually a Nigerian masquerading as an Englander.  So you will be getting an African British twist on things when I finally get my hands on a KK.  Did I say all was well with globalism? :-) 

Even better! Sounds like you won't have to unlearn boiling joints of beef, so you're already ahead. 

Just now, MacKenzie said:

Pequod, the Milwaukee compact blower number is M18™ Compact Blower (0884-20). Please note that is for the blower only, the battery must be bought separately.

Thanks! Was having trouble giving wife ideas for my upcoming birthday. Problem solved!