erik6bd

NEED HELP MY KK PEEPS

Ok so i made some steak and spinach pin wheels, a pork tenderloin and some center cut pork chops and I used different wood each time for smoke that I've used before with no issues but EVERYTHING tasted very bitter. I had been using Komodo Joe XL lump but ran out and I used a bag of royal oak from home depot on these cooks. I did notice that there was quite a bit of smoke coming out of the vent before I even added any woodfor smoking. Has anyone else tried this royal oak? I have 9 bags and I'm thinking of taking it all back. It was so bad we couldn't even eat the meat and tossed it all out. I'm doing tenderloin and shrimp tomorrow and will be using the kk coffee lump for sure. e9c581a7c02d70c25d46c78140a4e0bd.jpgedcfeb768c1fb147b91ba2b5c3900074.jpg81af8d87893d758fb30ab5aa0af6285a.jpge357d0b7dfba2c38b6aa02037793b722.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, I have used Royal Oak that comes from the USA and no problems. The only time I have gotten that bitter taste is if I have put the meat on too early. I should have let the fire settle down before adding the meat, if you open the lid and the smoke you smell is not good and you put your meat in it will end up on your meat.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

When in doubt, throw it out or in your case return it.  That thought will always plague you each time you cook, something not worth taking a chance on. I use Humphreys, a Canadian lump. I find that my lump charcoal smokes at the start but, mellows once temp is reached. The impurities and heavier smoke diminish once further in so, maybe you would want to put the food on later if your still considering. 

• Like 1

I have used BGE, Cowboy, and Royal Oak. I find the RO is the better of the three.

I lay a bed of KK extruded in the bottom of the basket then put RO on top to get it going for everything except steak; the steak cooks, i use 100% RO.

In either case, i wait until the smoke clears to put the food on.

Dennis' CoffeeChar is such a spoiler!   I am just about out of CC and bought a couple different bags of oak/hardwood lump and it burns & tastes OK but the % of tiny fines/pieces is the pisser.   You don't realize the care Dennis puts into the CC until you have ... perspective. ;)

• Like 1

My current charcoal is Rockwood. I like it a lot. Easy to light, burns clean, and the distribution of pieces in the bag is very good. I've tried a lot of brands and most are good, some just OK (RO), and others are just crap (Cowboy). If you have any doubts, check out the Naked Whiz's charcoal database. It's surprising how many "store brands" are just repackaged RO and marked up in price (BGE). 

• Like 1