Bruce Pearson

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL.

Is anyone spinning a turkey today? I have a 16.5lb bird that I am going to try with the Roti on my 21", now rebranded as a 22". The Bird is in the brine and be tied for balance during the spin.

Wondering what temp is good and for how long. I am thinking 275 for about 4.5? Using a Fogo Super Premium Hardwood Lump (huge char char chunks) on this one as I am spooky low on CoCo and CoffeeChar. I want to pull the bird at 160 internal. so going to have to open her (KK) up to probe as I can't leave the cabled sensor in..lol

Advice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

ColoradoRick,

I would be inclined to raise the temp. 350F or more, that's my 2 cents. ;)

I think you are spot on, been doing lots of searching on this, though most posters don't have KK's and almost none spinning the turkey collect drippings, I have and want both... I am giving it a go tomorrow so we will see.

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

Happy thanksgiving to you!! 

Qnd ivr spun my turkeys at about 325.... and they cooked faster than I would have thought!

Thanks for the heads up. So far I have had a smooth preparation and multiple test successes for the roti, etc. in the past two days.

Then... as SOON as I placed the turkey in it all started going bad. The length of the two ends of the roto cage seemed to shorten.. Flexing perhaps? It is a 16.5lb bird SO.. I couldn't get it centered and spinning .. I either had it in deep enough to catch the motor turn and the opposite side would not be in the hole deep enough to stay. Or it was in the spring side deep enough but not deep enough on the geared side....all the while my flames getting bigger and hotter as I tried to place it. Arrgggg..  Got it....THEN.. the friggen motor screw started to unwind. Meaning it was an screwing itself. Go figure. I had tested that and locked and used it twice before... SO what is different today? No clue.. weight?

So now... I have the bird spinning.. slightly burned from the time it sat while I tried to get things going correctly. The wife keeps telling me to just pan it.. NO WAY, I will WIN! lol... so now the temp is not coming back up for some damn reason no matter how open I have the vents, and the wind has kicked up to about 30kts. and ....

lol... I am going to have a beer and see what happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Maybe the thermometer is reading the cold from the turkey???? One must win, never give up. LOL I hope the beer helped.:drinkers:

The problem all along was that there was no beer in the equation. :)

Seriously.. it took a full open on the vents and a full turn on the cap, stuck.. I pulled the bung for the auto temp addition thingy.. that seemed to stoke it.. so brought the system up to 350 and replaced it and now holding solid. YEA!

Not really sure what happened there, but I seemed to get wrapped around the axel pretty hard. 2 hours in.. checked things.. it is rotating fine and looking beautiful, more to come.

OK, so the spin completed in just over 3hrs. Looks beautiful. Truthfully, it is just OK, definitely not the end product I thought it would be. The wife was not too impressed and said she missed the aroma from the oven... hmmm. Back to the drawing board. 

11-24-17 roti turkey.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoRick
adding pic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tony b said:

Sorry to hear about all your hassles. I've experienced most of them myself. Perseverance,  my friend. 

Check out the MEATER wireless temperature probe for the rotisserie. Love mine. Black Friday weekend sale - 20% off. Code is ROAST20.

Haven't looked into Meater in awhile. Last I checked people that pre-ordered 20 years ago are starting to get single probes, and blocks will ship around Sept. 2040. True? Maybe exaggerating just a tad...  

Does anyone have an update on shipping status for both single probes and blocks?

Hi @Pequod.  I have been periodically mailing the folk at apption labs to find out where they are at with the meater block because that seems like the more versatile option.  Extract from last correspondence on 14 Nov:

Currently, our factory is beginning pilot production of the MEATER Block. This trial batch will help us work out any manufacturing bugs prior to the start of mass production.
We have already purchased all the long lead time parts, so we can move quickly into the mass production phase as soon as the results of the pilot test align with our high standards of quality.  
Currently our plan is to begin fulfilling meater.com pre-orders early next year. 
If you haven't seen it already, check out the video we posted that showcases a prototype Block in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjnkznZyV4Y

It was good to see the meater block in the vid.  Still holding off ordering but seems more real.  Wonder what @ckreef thinks :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1