Eddie mac

32BB on the way to MA

Just to follow up on MacKenzie's post - the reason to pull out the dome thermometer in cold weather when not in use, is that it will under range (go below the lowest setting) and throw off the calibration. I have seen as much as a 50F offset in readings. While it's an easy fix to re-calibrate the thermometer - loosen the hex nut on the back, put the probe into boiling water and rotate the dial to read 212F (or whatever boiling water temperature is at your elevation), then re-tighten the nut on the back.

You can also throw off the calibration if you leave the thermometer in the dome if you go super hot (over range). This is what I did once - was planning a super hot sear of a steak, cranked open the vents and went inside the house to get stuff ready, came back outside to see the dome thermometer reading 200F and going WTF? Only to open the dome to a roaring fire - the temperature had gone all the way around the dial (estimate was around 1000F). Threw off the calibration big time!

15 minutes ago, tony b said:

Just to follow up on MacKenzie's post - the reason to pull out the dome thermometer in cold weather when not in use, is that it will under range (go below the lowest setting) and throw off the calibration. I have seen as much as a 50F offset in readings. While it's an easy fix to re-calibrate the thermometer - loosen the hex nut on the back, put the probe into boiling water and rotate the dial to read 212F (or whatever boiling water temperature is at your elevation), then re-tighten the nut on the back.

You can also throw off the calibration if you leave the thermometer in the dome if you go super hot (over range). This is what I did once - was planning a super hot sear of a steak, cranked open the vents and went inside the house to get stuff ready, came back outside to see the dome thermometer reading 200F and going WTF? Only to open the dome to a roaring fire - the temperature had gone all the way around the dial (estimate was around 1000F). Threw off the calibration big time!

Thanks Tony b