MacKenzie

Chili

Some organic red kidney beans grown by a friend. Did an overnight soak started with boiling water and 1 t baking soda. In the morning did a water change and boiled the beans for about 15 mins to get rid of the bean poison. Changed the water and they are ready to go into the chili.

5a2b0b78a0837_RedKidneyBeans.thumb.jpg.bb186111afc40f6ec6be1997db6235a1.jpg

Chili.thumb.jpg.e2e0091ed4423df53824383693ff11e4.jpg

Plated  and added some shaved smoked cheese.

5a2b0b6484aff_ChiliWithShavedSmokedCheese.thumb.jpg.2b15983b402a3ab128d3e94b5123f42e.jpg

Just after lunch my order of organic black garlic arrived. I wish it had come an hour earlier. :)

5a2b0b5ee5817_BlackGarlic.thumb.jpg.b2c7e550b0d7e484a2baadc132cf7f2b.jpg

Nice taste and texture, it is very moist and a little sticky.:)

5a2b0b6a0f04e_InteriorofBlackGarlic.thumb.jpg.46e8fb5d27936515a275dcff8609cf2b.jpg

• Like 2

That chilli looks great Mac. I like that bowl its in! What’s the shelf life of the black garlic?

that chilli takes me back when I was a kid. My dad used to make a huge pot of chili on some Sundays and we would eat it during the week. Good memory! Thanks for posting that. Can’t remember if his chili had beans or not. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 5698k said:

Beans in chili....I won’t say it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will - NOPE! :smt011

Yeah, the black garlic cloves are almost like gummy bears in texture. I just got my 2nd order of them. I absolutely love them in mashed potatoes! 

Great suggestion, Robert. Haven't made a batch of red beans and rice in a while and I have both andouille and tasso in the freezer. Maybe Monday (when else? LOL!)

• Like 1

I will - NOPE! :smt011
Yeah, the black garlic cloves are almost like gummy bears in texture. I just got my 2nd order of them. I absolutely love them in mashed potatoes! 
Great suggestion, Robert. Haven't made a batch of red beans and rice in a while and I have both andouille and tasso in the freezer. Maybe Monday (when else? LOL!)
How did you use them in mashed potatoes?

@Bruce Pearson - I kept mine in the refrigerator in the butter compartment for a year (I just looked at my original order in Amazon.) Even though I use it a lot, there was a lot of it in the jar, so it lasted me quite a while and I never noticed any spoilage. 

@MacKenzie - I chop it up as small as I can (it sticks to knife blades something fierce!) and mix it in with my butter and cream in the sous vide bag. It mashes out well with the potatoes, but does make your mashed potatoes kind of brown in color. Throw in some purple crack and really color things up!