DennisLinkletter

What a month this was.. Vol. Eruptus Major

First I of all Happy Holidays to all.. and of course I hope you are all cooking for your friends and family and eating great food..

This month in Bali started out rather unusually with a rather large 9,944 ft volcano interrupting about 50-60 miles from my house.

This closed the airport and left my wife and son stranded in Bangkok for a week and stopped the flow of almost 30,000 tourists a day from coming and going.

While the ash was not very apparent because it was raining multiple times a day, and there was no noticeable smell from the smoke. I suddenly had pretty severe respiratory issues. 

I had never heard of VOG before but VOG is created when volcanic gases mostly sulphur oxides mostly sulfur dioxide (SO2) react with sunlight, oxygen and moisture. The result includes sulfuric acid and other sulfates that cause lots of problems. Common symptoms are Headaches, watery eyes, sore throat, breathing difficulties / asthma attacks.  It caused havoc with my asthma and I needed to retreat to Surabaya to the factory but it seems that I had unknowingly breathed enough sulfuric acid that my cough stayed with me.. NO fun at all to say the least. The next problem is the ash is silica and basically glass.. also dangerous to breath and bad for your eyes.. 

Best to just leave, I flew to the States mid-month and am hoping the volcano either erupts and blows completely relieving the pressure, or just goes back to sleep before I go back after the new year.  Still taking meds to stop my coughing every 12 hours but am feeling much better..  How has your month been?

bali Volcano.jpg

IMG_1511.JPG

• Like 6

Hope you recover soon from that. I just ordered face masks for when I empty the ash from my grill so I can only imagine a volcano
I’m looking for a more mellow January and 2018 than late nov-December.
I moved into a new home, had a baby girl arrive along with the grill, and dissolved my business partnership of twelve years. Even though all of the stressors were positive events I’m absolutely exhausted.
Bring on 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slap on a mask, break out the meat and let's do some smoken. That's gotta be the biggest KK I've ever seen.  OK, maybe not, just a thought.  I hope you recover to prime form Dennis and that beast goes to sleep for a few centuries. Something like that 50-60 miles from home just ain't acceptable. Bali is a paradise and that is screwing up everybody's day. 

Holy cow Dennis!  Spectacular photos but truly a health disaster.  I would bet the acid air would scar your lungs so take it easy to say the least.  My torn meniscus and torn rotator cuff are nothing compared to what you are facing.  And when you got back to the west coast you had smoke from forest fires.  All we need is a volcanic eruption on the west coast again to complete the ring of fire.

We truly hope the New Year is a healthier one for you and your family.  get well soon.