tekobo

Sous Vide English Roast Dinner

When you all were giving me advice about my KK purchase, a few of you said you mainly use your ODK and not your IDK and so needed more than one KK to deliver a total meal.  I'd read your posts out to The Husband and we'd tut about the mad Americans.  I now know you are not all Americans but you are certainly mad and I seem to have joined your number.  Here I am, in an English winter, cooking most of my meals outdoors!

On to the business at hand.  When I was googling to find out about the relative collagen content of different types of meat a couple of weeks ago I came across this recipe for 48 hour cooked beef  https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/48-hour-beef-ribs/11890/?utm_term=.28849b63b32b.  I was willing to devote my oven to this experiment for two days but wondered if I ought to try it out in the KK.  And then I remembered that this sort of cooking is what the water bath does best and so I googled further and found this sous vide recipe:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Beef-Ribs-Cooked-En-Sous-Vide-135-F-for-48-Hours/.  It was easy to do - file the short ribs in your water bath and forget for two days.  I didn't have the opportunity to eat them straight away so I kept them in the fridge, still vac packed, for a few days. 

I thought it would be fun to cook a "typical" English roast dinner in the KK and so started with some veg in a Chinese clay pot and potatoes rolled in goose fat.  Here they are part way through cooking.

fullsizeoutput_88f.thumb.jpeg.c14115212ab67736d33792e5c9b6151a.jpeg

While they were cooking, I warmed up the vac pack with the ribs in warm water.  Here they are in their "boil in the bag" format.

IPGRUTcdQVyhP7QcqGSszg.thumb.jpg.f04dc815dccf604a3de33b54ef173882.jpg

I cranked up the KK to about 350 degrees C to brown the ribs quickly - approx 3 mins in total. 

FKMpsfVSSPGDrUjWOh1B8A.thumb.jpg.10a8e411f4fc946734d61913ae924bc4.jpg 

They came out nice 

rst3VAgeQSSlmoEBPoanMQ.thumb.jpg.7852142eacb00276ec159143acba2e8a.jpg

The cabbage with red onion was good too

3ISnQ5xSQyWHNKkrCEiq4w.thumb.jpg.423c5f686652756e4525df84d738c4bb.jpg

A very brown but very satisfying meal.  The sauce was made with home made veal stock and the juices from the sous vide bag - very rich.  And just perfect for watching the Philadelphia Eagles, against all the pundits' predictions, beat the Atlanta Falcons. Hurrah!

5a5b8818f0c18_PsYUnZjlSGuckBVHVfcLg.thumb.jpg.97d0206d2572ef39f42fefc52e3a7ec6.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

I now know you are not all Americans but you are certainly mad and I seem to have joined your number.  Here I am, in an English winter, cooking most of my meals outdoors!

Welcome to the Obsession!

Quite a few of us here do Sous Vide cooking, so much so, that Dennis added this separate section to the Forum for us to post about our cooks. (Speaking of, I'm off to fire mine up to do a steak for supper!)

Was impressed with the goose fat potatoes! I'm a junkie for duck fat spuds. Haven't tried to source goose fat. Curious as to the difference?

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Hey Tyrus been using the heck out of that purple crack!

Pics, Bruce, pics!! 

Edited by tony b

11 hours ago, tekobo said:

am watching recording of the Titans-Steelers game.

Ha.  Of course, I meant Jaguars-Steelers.  What a weekend.  @Tyrus, I have followed Philly since Randall Cunningham was QB and thought this was our year with Wentz doing so well.  The team is holding up, you never know, we might just make it to the big game.  Whoever wins, I'm loving the competitiveness of most of the games this post season.

13 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

This is sent from a “MAD” Californian LOL!

I wonder what a plot of where we all live would say about the distribution of "mad" in each of our countries?

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Quite a few of us here do Sous Vide cooking, so much so, that Dennis added this separate section to the Forum for us to post about our cooks. (Speaking of, I'm off to fire mine up to do a steak for supper!)

Yup, this post is in that sous vide section.  I hadn't used my water bath in ages.  The option to combine it with KK cooking should bring it back into use.

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Was impressed with the goose fat potatoes! I'm a junkie for duck fat spuds. Haven't tried to source goose fat. Curious as to the difference?

I'd like to pretend that I know but the convention here is to use goose fat and so I've never seen or tried duck fat for potatoes.  I can't imagine there is a huge difference.  What makes the real difference is the type of potatoes that you use.  The ones in the picture were called Apache (blotchy pink and yellow skin) and I have also found Mayan Gold (golden yellow) to be very good.  We call them South American varieties here so, you never know, you might be able to get hold of them.  

When you all were giving me advice about my KK purchase, a few of you said you mainly use your ODK and not your IDK and so needed more than one KK to deliver a total meal.  I'd read your posts out to The Husband and we'd tut about the mad Americans.  I now know you are not all Americans but you are certainly mad and I seem to have joined your number.  Here I am, in an English winter, cooking most of my meals outdoors! 

LOL, your neighbours must think you have lost it. It didn't take long for the addiction to set in. Love the look of your dinner and I can't until I get home and see it on the big screen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

What makes the real difference is the type of potatoes that you use.  The ones in the picture were called Apache (blotchy pink and yellow skin) and I have also found Mayan Gold (golden yellow) to be very good.  We call them South American varieties here so, you never know, you might be able to get hold of them.  

We all tend to think that there's only a few varieties of spuds, as that's all we're used to seeing in the market, but there's actually hundreds of different kinds. The Apache sound interesting, but I've never seen anything like them here. The purple ones are about as exotic as I've seen. Yukon Golds are my go-to for mashed. Might be similar to your Mayan. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 11:11 AM, MacKenzie said:

LOL, your neighbours must think you have lost it.

I think they knew that already!

17 hours ago, tony b said:

We all tend to think that there's only a few varieties of spuds, as that's all we're used to seeing in the market, but there's actually hundreds of different kinds. The Apache sound interesting, but I've never seen anything like them here. The purple ones are about as exotic as I've seen. Yukon Golds are my go-to for mashed. Might be similar to your Mayan.

Yeah, similar here, limited range of potatoes available to buy.  I have to grow the different varieties of that I like.  I have grown Yukon Gold before and they are different to the Mayan, latter cooks quicker and is generally smaller.  You've reminded me that I liked the Yukon Gold for baking.  Must try a baked potato in the KK next.  Going to have to ramp up my exercise regime too...

• Like 1