MacKenzie

SV a Whole Chicken

This is the first time I have sous vide a whole chicken but it won't be the last. A friend and I decided to cook ourselves a fun dinner. She did the appetizer and the dessert and I did the main course.

This is the recipe for the chicken- https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-whole-chicken

The trussed chicken goes in the bag with stock, celery, leeks, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves and soy sauce.

Here are the veggies ready to go into the bag with the chicken-

5a629c289a0c6_VeggiesinStock.thumb.jpg.b3118eebb45acbcc63feb74ee1414c7b.jpg

The whole works goes on for 6 hours at 150F. But we end up with a snow storm and decide it is not safe for my friend to come out. I finish the chicken, cool it and put it in the fridge for overnight. The next day about 2 hours before dinner the bag is put back in the bath at 150F to heat up.

We received a good foot of fluffy snow, it was very pretty.

Snow.thumb.jpg.43bcc91278b8b300e438bb3a7f9f26bd.jpg

Appetizer, toasted bread with blue cheese, slice of pear and prosciutto and a little thyme.

Appetizer.thumb.jpg.1539cf59436458f415ea981480523fb1.jpg

Chicken and veggies out of the bath-

5a629c954e57b_ChickenisCooked.thumb.jpg.67a261671ed959e3c0925dfb1f056e96.jpg

You have to love sous vide to appreciate that pix.. We removed the skin, dried off the veggies and coated them with olive oil and baked at 450F until they were cooked and a little charred. Reduced the sauce.

We didn't take any plated pictures. :( 

Dessert, maple cheese cake, rich, rich, rich.

5a629ea3d567e_MapleCheeseCake.thumb.jpg.757e560d46b60abc9ce289a6b7d36285.jpg

Finished dinner off with a specialty coffee, no pix :( 

This morning for breakfast it was leftovers for me with purple crack.

Breakfast.thumb.jpg.385754ebfa110a890278f5a3edf9bd47.jpg

5a62a3be11127_RunnyYoke.thumb.jpg.4303aa4c076a7daa75641a172bb756fe.jpg

Then for dinner more leftovers except I cooked carrots. We found we didn't like the roasted veggies but the sauce was killer.

5a629c9328ccf_ChickenDinner.thumb.jpg.623692e97493af7ecb51ab64a26a17dc.jpg

We both loved the chicken, it was tender and juicy. I would do this again in a heart beat the chicken and sauce were sooooooo tasty.

There was another piece of pie for dinner. ;)

5a62a2ab776ce_CheeseCake.thumb.jpg.12b6727bcd6e4e76de69f8900c9628b6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mac did you cut the whole chicken into pieces or just put it in the bag without piecing it out? Those pictures are wonderful, that  appetizer looks delicious.  So does that maple cheesecake! Ok I took a closer look at the picture and see the chicken is not pieced out, my bad. Those  mashed potatoes carrots and chicken look yuuuuuumy

• Thanks 1

@ Aussie, here you go -

Praline Cheesecake

Crust-

1/4C butter

1C Graham Wafer crumbs

2T packed brown sugar

Filling-

3 packages of cream cheese 8 oz size

1 and 1/4 C packed brown sugar

2T flour

4 eggs

1 and 1/2tsp vanilla

1/2 C chopped pecans

Topping-

1T maple syrup

Crust:

Melt butter is saucepan, stir in crumbs and sugar. Pack into bottom of ungreased 9-inch springform pan or 8x8 inch pan. Bake in 350F oven for 10 mins.

Filling:

Beat cheese, sugar and flour together at medium speed until blended. Add eggs, one at a time. Beating until blended after each addition. Min n vanilla and nuts. Pour over crust. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 mins. Until firm. Chill.

Topping: Spread maple syrup over the top to cooled cheesecake. Chill. Serves 12.

Filling:

Beat cheese, sugar and flour together at medium speed until blended. Add eggs, one at a time. Beating until blended after each addition. Min n vanilla and nuts. Pour over crust. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 mins. Until firm. Chill.

Topping: Spread maple syrup over the top to cooled cheesecake. Chill. Serves 12.

• Like 2

@ Aussie, here you go -

Praline Cheesecake

Crust-

1/4C butter

1C Graham Wafer crumbs

2T packed brown sugar

Filling-

3 packages of cream cheese 8 oz size

1 and 1/4 C packed brown sugar

2T flour

4 eggs

1 and 1/2tsp vanilla

1/2 C chopped pecans

Topping-

1T maple syrup

Crust:

Melt butter is saucepan, stir in crumbs and sugar. Pack into bottom of ungreased 9-inch springform pan or 8x8 inch pan. Bake in 350F oven for 10 mins.

Filling:

Filling:

Cheers Mac am going to do this for sure ,looking back at the pics I can't help thinking what a great home those birds have lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill