Eddie mac

Dual air vent use

4 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Funny you Say that I haven’t flown for a long time and probably will not do any flying in the near future. Like you say too much of a hassle going to the airport.

I have been as far east as Italy and as far west as Vietnam, south to Panama and north to Alaska and it is possible to have just as much fun here in the USA and drive to locations of your choice.  There are some great hotels so drive an economy car (I used my Mini Cooper S) and see America, she is an amazing country and if you want to broaden your horizons use the car north and south of the border (going south you might need armor plate).

I set off metal detectors because of retained shrapnel so I have photos of xrays on my phone.

Edited by FotonDrv

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

FotonDrv, that was a very interesting read, thanks for posting it. I love your friends sense of humour.:) 

Jack is a very calm fellow, as you would expect an explosives expert to be.  His other hobby is filming race car right down on the track as close as he can get.

Another buddy of mine was EOD in Vietnam and he really is the epitome of calm.  It takes a lot to get his adrenaline going.  He was one of 6 Marines that I met that were in the ordnance section on the flight line in DaNang loading bombs, and on occasion defusing them if they failed to drop off the jets when on a bomb run.  That would be pretty scary!  He told me of an incident where he was asked to defuse a bomb on a jet that was still hanging on one of the 2 toggles and sitting on the flight line a long way from the hangars.

Edited by FotonDrv
added text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Foton I took a trip around the world back in 1966. Went to 21 different countries met lots of wonderful people 

That’s when air travel was a pleasure and you actually got silverware in the early 60’s late 50’s. 

As to the dual damper system i rarely play with them, just run them wide open and shut them to kill the fire.  If i was trying to keep a low slow fire i might stop them dowm and regulate with only the large aperture damper. 

The top damper is what i use the most. 

Edited by FotonDrv

You must be fun to watch going through an airport security line!  I get beeped, wanded and swabbed to the extend that I no longer go flying.
I had a hobby that involved explosives and it is pretty hard to convince the average TSA person that such hobbies exist.  Should have heard the commotion that was created by one of our club members that controls the powder magazine for a major timber company since he was their licensed blaster.  When 9/11 happened the BATF tried calling him, but he was off doing something else.  The 3rd message they left on his machine went something lioke this; "Jack, if you do not respond to this were are coming to find you", which he was listening to when they drove up in his driveway.  After a thorough interrogation and a trip to the magazine to inspect it and account for all the explosives they took him back home and were leaving when he calmly said, "I don't know why you were so nervous about all that other stuff, what about the stuff under the sink?".  Needless to say that got their attention so he demonstrated what a proper mixing of grocery store chemicals was capable of doing.  He now flies all over the world giving lectures about I.E.D's for the Feds.  His stories of the TSA are amusing at minimum.
Remember that shoe bomber the Feds caught after he tried lighting his shoes in flight?  We got a demonstration of the compound and its effectiveness and believe me that a 1/4" thick insole in his shoes would have brought down an airplane.  What was demonstrated to us was a 1/4" x 2" x2" , like a pat of butter, chunk laid behind a hill 100 yds away from us.  When it went off it ruffled my shirt....  I was a weapons track driver in Vietnam and we handled a lot of thing that went bang and this compound was as good or better than anything we had although it was not as stable as ours.
I steer clear of airports...

Cool story it's amazing how much normal everyday household products mixed in a certain way can cause havoc

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

Here are my test results on right vent holes. I started with a clean Komodo and a full basket of Rockwood charcoal.At 5 am I lit the Komodo with my torch to a softball size pile.I then brought it up to 200 quickly just to make sure coals where going good. I then closed the top vent to a 1/4 turn that’s where the top stayed thru the whole test. Starting with the smallest to the largest hole ran the first whole for 4 hour 168 degrees after an hour it settled at 168 for three hours.Then second hole 1/2 hour to get to  198 degrees held solid for 2 1/2 hours.third hole 1/2 hour to get to 223 then held solid for2 1/2 hours. Forth hole 1/2 to get to 252 held solid for 2 1/2 hours.  Fifth hole 1/2 hour to get to 277 and held solid for 2 1/2 hours. I used a Thermoworks smoke probe the I place on top of the thermometer probe and wrapped it with a piece of stainless steel wire. Hell of a long test but for low and slow right side vent seems to be the ticket left side for grilling and baking. This was done on a B.B. 32. I hope this helps you all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Grant said:

Thanks Eddie.  I’m sure different charcoals will yield slightly different results, but it is nice to know what to expect.  I’ve always just used the left side but now I’ll have to try the right with the next low and slow.   

Grant I am doing it again this morning same process . But Komodo walls was still very warm @5 am . This time I am using Royal Oak charcoal it’s been 2 1/2 hours sitting at 167 degrees.

Just finished 2nd test same process as my last post only difference this time I used Royal oak.   1st hole 166.                                                         2nd hole 200.                                                           3rd hole 227.                                                           4th hole 257.                                                         5th hole 272.                                                         Dam close to yesterday I am convinced that that was a pretty solid I hope this helps are you 32 owners

Edited by Eddie mac
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie mac said:

Just finished 2nd test same process as my last post only difference this time I used Royal oak.   1st hole 166.                                                         2nd hole 200.                                                           3rd hole 227.                                                           4th hole 257.                                                         5th hole 272.                                                         Dam close to yesterday I am convinced that that was a pretty solid I hope this helps are you 32 owners

Don’t know why this post is tying out this way

• Thanks 2