Eddie mac

Dual air vent use

23 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Thank Eddie i’ll take pictures print out and laminate. It will come in handy. I don’t use my KK as much as most of the people here. 

Yeah I like it easy to set for low and slow I’ll try the coconut charcoal this week. I need to cook a couple of Boston butts.  I haven’t filled my cabinet yet still waiting for my cover from Dennis but when I do I post some pictures. Bruce you have 2 KK am I right?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:12 AM, Eddie mac said:

Here are my test results on right vent holes. I started with a clean Komodo and a full basket of Rockwood charcoal.At 5 am I lit the Komodo with my torch to a softball size pile.I then brought it up to 200 quickly just to make sure coals where going good. I then closed the top vent to a 1/4 turn that’s where the top stayed thru the whole test. Starting with the smallest to the largest hole ran the first whole for 4 hour 168 degrees after an hour it settled at 168 for three hours.Then second hole 1/2 hour to get to  198 degrees held solid for 2 1/2 hours.third hole 1/2 hour to get to 223 then held solid for2 1/2 hours. Forth hole 1/2 to get to 252 held solid for 2 1/2 hours.  Fifth hole 1/2 hour to get to 277 and held solid for 2 1/2 hours. I used a Thermoworks smoke probe the I place on top of the thermometer probe and wrapped it with a piece of stainless steel wire. Hell of a long test but for low and slow right side vent seems to be the ticket left side for grilling and baking. This was done on a B.B. 32. I hope this helps you all.

Your kind of up early on your day off, I understand...your a man on a mission. 5 a.m. for me is only for a fishing date other than that these eyes ain't opening. Really good work, a test I see that involved effort and planning and you have my congratulations. So without delay and dubious deserved merit I confer upon you EddieMac the highest honor ever bestowed upon another within the cooking world.....the visitation of any house within the KK Kingdom and to sit and break bread, meat and more...yes you can bring the wife. Your diploma is in the mail. Three thumbs brother

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Your kind of up early on your day off, I understand...your a man on a mission. 5 a.m. for me is only for a fishing date other than that these eyes ain't opening. Really good work, a test I see that involved effort and planning and you have my congratulations. So without delay and dubious deserved merit I confer upon you EddieMac the highest honor ever bestowed upon another within the cooking world.....the visitation of any house within the KK Kingdom and to sit and break bread, meat and more...yes you can bring the wife. Your diploma is in the mail. Three thumbs brother

Thank you 

• Like 1

Doing a picnic shoulder about 9llbs right now. Decided to use that side also, did some tweaking and played around to run around 250. I have the 23 so you'll have to come over and run the test for the 23 crowd to see if there are any significant changes. Don't forget to bring beer, ha ha just kidding...my well never runs dry

This is an old thread but I am new to my KK32 and still trying to learn the ropes.  I found this really helpful.  

My takeaway from Eddie’s hard work is that, if I am in low and slow territory, then a one hole adjustment either way on the right side is worth about 25 degrees.  I don’t aim to hold temperatures closer than +/-20 degrees so this should make it really easy to nail my desired temperature range.

Thanks!

Dave H, did you see the latest post from Dennis?

My mantra is Temp is Airflow.  If it's not leaving the grill it's not going thru the charcoal. There are no mysteries here, charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the allowed airflow. I suggest making smaller adjustments after the grill is heat soaked. There are many factors but remember that hot air exiting the grill creates vacuum, this vacuum grows as the volume of burning charcoal increases. It's like having a little built in blower. I use the large pencil hole for everything except high temps which I pull the door open or open the half dial all the way. Other than that going in I only use the top damper.

Another problem is that different grills have different diameter damper top chimneys so what's 1 turn on the 23" is less on the 32.  Before you follow too closely settings on posts here on the forum best to keep in mind or know what grill the person is cooking on. The size of the charcoal and resistance it creates is also a factor. 

Edited by MacKenzie

Most of the temperature control is by the top vent. The lower vents don't have much impact, as long as you don't starve the fire. What the lower vent does impact is the amount of charcoal that is burning. The KK is super efficient once heat soaked, so you can dial back the lower vent to conserve fuel. 

• Like 1