tekobo

Surprising beef ribs

After watching a chef programme on Netflix my husband decided that he really liked the Argentinian chef, Francis Mallman and his fire cooking.  I got the book "Mallman on Fire" to see what all fuss was about.  Today I tried his beef ribs recipe.  

Here in the UK we don't tend to get racks of beef ribs.  They are cut individually and we make them in up slow cooked stews.  So I was happy to see this familiar cut in Mallman's book even though he cooked them in an unexpected way.

Here they are at the start of their journey, on a thick cast iron "plancha" in the KK.

5a80b4e7c1fa3_Ug6etkQSaUrCjYpOPhtQ.thumb.jpg.0b2c4b3f3469580c39203556ca425f3b.jpg

I get jealous of all your talk of side tables and cabinets.  I have to use my other KK as a side table!!  Looking forward to sorting out a proper ODK in the summer.

BNBvYWzkT3aENNITIDuDOw.thumb.jpg.4a61548c4fd3f65fc5a85dd10cfa6f9e.jpg

This is the surprising bit of the cook.  Here the ribs are, done.  They were up to the correct internal temperature after just 24 minutes of cooking - 8 minutes on each "side".

Dn8nOmN5SZi6AJTjtEBCJg.thumb.jpg.f6024da2b618bb5d4b34feb8a1e27504.jpg

My thumb got in the way of the shot of the endives/chicory cooking on the plancha so here is the plated shot once I had taken them off. 

5a80b4fe64231_O4IL8mXXRMrTtXAvZdnQ.thumb.jpg.c84d0c0222e33c64f3a53752ff24f05c.jpg

And we had some roasted sweet potatoes to go with the meal.  They came out OK but putting them directly on the coals was just a little tooo aggressive for the skins.  

NNKMP0oCQeiKyLH0vXNyHA.thumb.jpg.d985fc96a4be29d87841f9ad3ba13017.jpg

4ZIE8jEoSZirEvZ51nv8kw.thumb.jpg.17e969758920c089751f62816b091d93.jpg

So, the quick cook was surprising but what was even more surprising was just how delicious grilled leaves (dressed in mustard, vinegar and oil beforehand), beef short ribs and baked sweet potato were.  The Husband said it was an outstanding meal.  What more could a girl ask for?  A glass of nice red.  And it was forthcoming.  All good.   

• Like 6

Looks great I've seen a few of his YouTube clips some really good tips for my asado .single cut shorties do cook quick especially on a cast iron pan I like to braise them in red wine and love from the gods lol. was this your insperation. https://www.grillocracy.com/blog/2015/6/9/grilled-short-ribs-with-vinegar-glazed-charred-endive

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I am surprised at how quickly the beef ribs cooked. Tasty and very quick with wine,

I was surprised too. And I promise my judgement wasn't clouded by the wine!

7 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

single cut shorties

Thanks Aussie, I am so glad that you reminded me that Aussie's have a good name for everything - shorties indeed!  Yes, that was the Mallman recipe that I used. 

And yes, @jonj, it's a good book.  The meat is fun but it also pushes the envelope of what you can do with veg.  Salad on the BBQ, whatever next?

• Like 1

@jonj that Chef's Table series can be really inspirational.  One or two of the chefs irritated me but most of them have really interesting stories and drive. I am sooo over fancy restaurants but I do get tempted by some them.  The trouble is, I just want to be their friend and to cook and eat with them - not sit in their fancy restaurant! Dream on...

• Like 2

Thanks Aussie, I am so glad that you reminded me that Aussie's have a good name for everything - shorties indeed!  Yes, that was the Mallman recipe that I used. 
And yes, [mention=2815]jonj[/mention], it's a good book.  The meat is fun but it also pushes the envelope of what you can do with veg.  Salad on the BBQ, whatever next?
Lol we tend to abreviate

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

On 2/11/2018 at 10:35 PM, tekobo said:

Here in the UK we don't tend to get racks of beef ribs.  They are cut individually and we make them in up slow cooked stews.  So I was happy to see this familiar cut in Mallman's book even though he cooked them in an unexpected way.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:35 PM, tekobo said:

Visit the Ginger Pig in London... they can get you what you want :) 

Hey there @subseaaggie. I looked up your profile and previous posts and see that you spent some time in my home city, Lagos, Nigeria.  I hope we treated you right. 

Thanks for the recommendation re: Ginger Pig.  My Nigerian bulk buying gene means that I very rarely go into a butcher's.  My current plan is to get a hind quarter of a dairy cow sometime soon.  It means I will get my rump, sirloin and all the fun bits in between but I think I will miss out on the short ribs.  Next time.  

Down to earth, that's what I see in your cooks. Lay those tatoes on the coals, roast the beef alternative style and bring UK camping back to the yard, hell, my yard too.  Sometime we forget, and remember the simpler way or the embedded way to cook,  I like what I see. Great cook, smashing and all that. Doesn't help you pickin a winnin team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Down to earth, that's what I see in your cooks. Lay those tatoes on the coals, roast the beef alternative style and bring UK camping back to the yard, hell, my yard too.  Sometime we forget, and remember the simpler way or the embedded way to cook,  I like what I see. Great cook, smashing and all that. Doesn't help you pickin a winnin team.

Funny on a couple of fronts @Tyrus.  First, I didn't recognise the thread when I saw that @subseaaggie had quoted me.  Good to be reminded of the fun that I had grilling in February last year soon after I got the KKs.  Second, we are even stevens on picking winning teams so no funny comments there.  I cannot tell you how sweet it was, after all those years of waiting, to see Philly win the Super Bowl.  Yay! 

• Like 1