amusedtodeath

Looking for Grate Advice

I've used a cast iron grate exclusively for more than a decade, so now with my new 21" Supreme coming next week, I'll need to get used to the stainless steel. As supposed to the typical SS wire brush, I was wondering about the "scrapers" on the market, and if anyone here uses them and whether you might have opinions/preferences about them. There are three on Amazon that look interesting...

Sanfee grill scraper. Nice 304 steel, but only 4 1/2 inches long - hard to use on a hot grate. 

GrillFloss cleaning tool. Long handle unusual design SS

Martin Grill Gadget long handle scraping tool. Looks good but brass head and I'm not sure the brass is okay to use with the SS. 

The second two seem the better options of the bunch because of the longer handles. Anyone with comments?

Thank you for any thoughts!

9 hours ago, Syzygies said:

It depends on the wrench. If the curve matches the grate, then nothing else comes close. (Old-timers will confirm I try everything.)

If the curve is more square, this isn't your tool.

Man, this is exactly why I wanted to post my question. I can picture exactly what you're saying about the curved wrench. "Nothing else comes close" says it all. I'll be dropping by my trusty Tru-Value hardware store later today! Thank you! 

The great thing about this site is the wealth of information available, buried in the archives.  Before my KKs arrived, @MacKenzie initiated me in the ways of the Curly Kate.   I thought it was an exotic new tool and was almost disappointed when I found out how mundane it is. But it works.  I did try the wrench but I am too impatient to work each bar individually.  Instead I have one curly kate near the BBQ which I use immediately post cook and then, if I want to get things super clean, I soak my (cooled) grates in a water heater base.  All down the power of the internet.  I couldn't find the water heater base in the UK so ordered one from the US on eBay and there was a video on the Guru site showing how to block the hole off.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

I love that Curly Kate or Kurly Kate however I am supposed to spell it. I think the key thing is to stay on top of the job. Don't let those cooks build up and up without cleaning the previous cook off. Either get it at the end of the cook or the beginning of the next cook just as the grill is heating up. :) 

5aad68c04b01f_KurlyKate.JPG.923ed99799d94a463f7f0c4939d19f3a.JPG

It took a little search to find the water heater pan and it has a tap on the side. In the pix is it sitting over a bin with lump just for the pix. Normally it is turned upside down and I use it as a cover for the bin. It all slides under the counter and out of sight. I rarely use it but have it if need be. A section of garden hose could be easily threaded onto the top if needed.

image.thumb.png.846ff1be213b0fa5d455f66b63b17a04.png

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

So THAT'S what Dennis was talking about when he was telling me to buy these, in his words, steel balls, available in grocery stores worldwide...(insert joke here). I thought he might have been telling me to just grow a pair as I whimpered about my fear of the dreaded burn-in! I'll take y'alls advice and throw a couple of these in the cart upon my next shop. I do always clean pre and post cook. 

• Haha 2

I also like the grill floss. It does a great job on the under-side of the bars, but does maybe lack a bit on the top. If I feel it didn't do the job well enough, I just scrub the top with a bit of crumpled aluminum foil.

I'll have to try the Kurly Kate.

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 1

I have a grill floss and I use it exclusively. One big word of caution about using any wire/bristle cleaner on the KK. Examine the grate carefully after using it. There are legit horror stories out there about folks inadvertently ingesting metal bits and ending up in the emergency room (or worse!)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6126a4.htm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tony b said:

I have a grill floss and I use it exclusively. One big word of caution about using any wire/bristle cleaner on the KK. Examine the grate carefully after using it. There are legit horror stories out there about folks inadvertently ingesting metal bits and ending up in the emergency room (or worse!)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6126a4.htm

Yeah, I just recently learned about the hazards of stray bristles, and that was one reason I was interested in the alternatives out there. This thread is really helpful. There are definitely numerous folks here that use the floss tool. Do you use it as it came, or did you have to flip the head around for it to fit around the grate bars? I had seen one review on Amazon that suggested that was necessary on larger size grates like our 3/8" ones. There's enough satisfied users here that now I'm thinking of going ahead and ordering one. Plus, I'm going to take Dennis' advice, along with MacKenzie and Tekobo's, and grow, er, buy some Steel Balls...:cool:

Curly Kate ,steel balls .lol we call it steel wool down here lol. I have an industrial grate soaker at work but I just use the spanner and the odd high heat clean .tony b mentioned some breweres cleaner pwb or bwp not sure .but if you look at Mac's pics the trick is to stay on top

Outback kamado Bar and Grill