Jon B.

French Fry Press

20 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I tried Syzygies' fried potato wedges today.

Hi @MacKenzie , do you guys have roast potatoes out there and if so, are they similar to these wedges?  The look and sound similar.  Really must get around to trying them myself.  Grow, potatoes, grow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:
Hi [mention=2394]MacKenzie[/mention] , do you guys have roast potatoes out there and if so, are they similar to these wedges?  The look and sound similar.  Really must get around to trying them myself.  Grow, potatoes, grow!

When I think of roast I think of what you get when you put them in pan with a roast to cook, usually put carrots and onions in too.

Edited by MacKenzie

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

When I think of roast I think of what you get when you put them in pan with a roast to cook, usually put carrots and onions in too.emoji4.png

Interesting.  Will try this method and compare.  Here to do roast potatoes we parboil for about 10 mins, drain water and then shake the potatoes around in the pot a little to fluff the outsides up a little then put them in a pan with hot fat, usually goose, before roasting at about 180-200C for up to an hour.  Key features are crispy outside and fluffy inside.  This sous vide method may well be completely different.  Will have to buy :shock: some potatoes and give it a try.  

• Like 1

Interesting.  Will try this method and compare.  Here to do roast potatoes we parboil for about 10 mins, drain water and then shake the potatoes around in the pot a little to fluff the outsides up a little then put them in a pan with hot fat, usually goose, before roasting at about 180-200C for up to an hour.  Key features are crispy outside and fluffy inside.  This sous vide method may well be completely different.  Will have to buy :shock: some potatoes and give it a try.  
Oh no, you ate all your potatoes and planted the rest.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Interesting.  Will try this method and compare.  Here to do roast potatoes we parboil for about 10 mins, drain water and then shake the potatoes around in the pot a little to fluff the outsides up a little then put them in a pan with hot fat, usually goose, before roasting at about 180-200C for up to an hour.  Key features are crispy outside and fluffy inside.  

Coincidence perhaps, but tonight's dinner featured a new potato recipe that's apparently a hot trend right now - Melting Potatoes. 

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a49569/melting-potatoes-recipe/

I made a couple of substitutions - duck fat for the butter; the olive oil was infused with garlic; and my spice blend was thyme, savory and purple crack salt. 

5ac2c0c0a31eb_Easter2018Lamb007.thumb.jpg.4b26760e4f58d94492e20dd4ca00e00c.jpg

End result was similar to what you described - very crispy exterior and fluffy (almost mashed potato interior). Will definitely be putting this one in the recipe rotation! 

• Like 3