tekobo

Nigerian Party Jollof Rice

It has taken me a while to get around to trying out a Nigerian/West African recipe in the KK.  The arrival of my La Chamba pots encouraged me to try this rice dish in the KK while it was heat soaking for pizza.

Ingredients (approx - it is different everytime)

2 cups of long grain rice

14oz can of plum tomatoes

4 scotch bonnet peppers, seeds and all (too hot, even for me, will dial back next time)

1 red capsicum pepper

1 red onion

3 teaspoons of Carribean curry powder

salt, pepper

Some vegetable oil

A slug of chicken stock

Method

Parboiled the rice in IDK for about 10 minutes so the grains still had a bit of bite to them.  

5acb14f284007_hQ4cjCTKlbDqHAAVfzg.thumb.jpg.3737c582b23c02b2b4a175514e46f38d.jpg

Made up the tomato sauce by blending all the other ingredients up to but not including the vegetable oil.  Heated the oil in the pan and added the tomato blend.  Cooked for about 15 minutes or so.  

5acb14f91b7f4_ucHWEQBSQG2dAIMstwJvA.thumb.jpg.8a0269925da58a6292a8d1234aa3b63d.jpg

Mixed the rice in with the tomato sauce.  Added in a bit of chicken stock.  The stock probably wasn't needed as the rice came out a bit softer than usual.  Here is the pot in the KK after about 30 minutes.

5acb14fecd8d5_YaEzAPS6QY1S4jSuVPfA.thumb.jpg.f20b40916fee78509f54a1238b290d71.jpg

And now for the "party" bit of the recipe.  I didn't know this until I started researching recipes but, because food at big parties is cooked by caterers over wood fires, the smoky taste of Jollof rice at parties is distinct from that which you cook at home.  I asked my mother about this yesterday and she said yes, she had a friend who would always go to any party that was on just because she loved the taste of smoky Jollof rice.   My mum then lamented the fact that caterers generally use gas cookers now and so that taste is not so common.  Well, I got to reproduce it last night by putting the cooked rice into my other KK with the cold smoker for about 40 minutes.  Yippee, it tasted just like it should.   

fullsizeoutput_8fd.thumb.jpeg.4cee61f5807552dbe57ebcea55a47a0c.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah, I know @Bruce Pearson, it sounds weird when you say "smoked rice" but I promise you, it is good.  The main thing about the recipe is that it is adaptable and you could add Creole spices or even @Tyrus' foreign (to a Nigerian) Bebere spice.  I am sure many Nigerians would want to extend the list of ingredients with their favourite additions.  The worst sin is for your food to be declared "neither sweet nor hot", or "ko dun, ko ta" in my language, forever damning you to the land of the bland.  

@Stile88, it is a little alarming when your beautiful pots go all grey in your cooker but I knew that film would wash off.  They are now clean and waiting for me to find somewhere to store them!  The husband had some this afternoon.  He covered a small pot of the rice in pepperonata, broke an egg on top and baked it in the oven.  He said he enjoyed it and didn't think it was too spicy.  

And finally, @amusedtodeath, thanks for the compliments.  The "maze looking thingy" is a cheapo cold smoker from amazon.  You light it with the candle that comes with it and the whole thing can go on smoking for up to 10 hours.  I've never needed it for that long so I stop the fire by jamming in a piece of crunched up foil and save the box for another day.  A bit messy to store but nice and easy to use.  I didn't get the cold smoker from Dennis when I ordered my KKs and then promptly discovered I needed one for lots of things I like to do, hence this solution.  Oh yes, and to answer your other question, I bought bags of different smoking dusts and refill when I have burned a maze's worth.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

They are now clean and waiting for me to find somewhere to store them!

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!! At least, at my house. I am stymied on buying new cooking toys, as I've run out of storage space for anything of size in the kitchen! I've even gone so far as to put some stuff in my beer brewing room in the basement, but now it's practically full, too! So, no new brewing toys either!! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, tony b said:

I am stymied on buying new cooking toys, as I've run out of storage space for anything of size in the kitchen! I've even gone so far as to put some stuff in my beer brewing room in the basement, but now it's practically full, too! So, no new brewing toys either!! 

Similar challenge here.  The Husband has declared it a "moving parts puzzle".  Next date night will involve agreeing what has to go where or go altogether.   

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, tekobo said:

Similar challenge here.  The Husband has declared it a "moving parts puzzle".  Next date night will involve agreeing what has to go where or go altogether.   

Sacrilege. The beer room is and always will be the beer room. BBQ has it's own area. The two meet together, kinda blend. It's an American thing, work it out.

12 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Sacrilege. The beer room is and always will be the beer room. BBQ has it's own area. The two meet together, kinda blend. It's an American thing, work it out.

Errrr, nope.  The basement is shared territory and he already has a good proportion of it covered in wine so he knows we need to work it out.  It's a compromise thing.  

4 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I must give this recipe a try now if I can just find those peppers. ;)

Again, nope.  I doubt you will like them, they are very spicy.  The best thing about this recipe is that it is infinitely adaptable to your taste.  Get some chilies that you like.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Errrr, nope.  The basement is shared territory and he already has a good proportion of it covered in wine so he knows we need to work it out.  It's a compromise thing.  

Again, nope.  I doubt you will like them, they are very spicy.  The best thing about this recipe is that it is infinitely adaptable to your taste.  Get some chilies that you like.  

Yah, I always loose on those on those compromises here. Just thought I'd help and give your husband an edge up. Oh well

• Haha 1