John A

Basket splitter

I’m getting a basket splitter and I’m a little confused what comes with it. I know it comes with the center plate and the top cover but it looks like there is a piece that goes in the bottom. The picture only shows 2 parts but together it looks like there are more pieces. 

I asked Dennis about this when I ordered my basket splitter for my 23". The one picture shows a vertical splitter, the half-moon horizontal plate, and, on the other side, a half moon grate that sits at the same level as the plate.

That is an older configuration and it no longer includes the grate - so it's just the two pieces.

1 hour ago, John A said:

I see. I was hoping for the grate. That’s one thing that could be improved with the charcoal basket. To have smaller gaps so not as much charcoal can fall through when shacking out the ash. 

Interesting you say that and I totally agree especially around the sides. A year or so ago Dennis asked people to chime in on this exact situation. The majority thought the design should remain as is. I thought it should change to smaller gaps along the sides as it couldn't hurt. 

I do think Dennis made some fire baskets with smaller gaps around the side. To get it you had to buy an extra fire basket. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ckreef said:

Interesting you say that and I totally agree especially around the sides. A year or so ago Dennis asked people to chime in on this exact situation. The majority thought the design should remain as is. I thought it should change to smaller gaps along the sides as it couldn't hurt. 

I do think Dennis made some fire baskets with smaller gaps around the side. To get it you had to buy an extra fire basket. 

If he would make one I’d pay extra to get it. I was going to by one with a spitter anyway. I don’t understand why people would do be against it. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 7:59 PM, John A said:

I see. I was hoping for the grate. That’s one thing that could be improved with the charcoal basket. To have smaller gaps so not as much charcoal can fall through when shacking out the ash. 

That grate was on TOP of the lump, not on the bottom of the basket. It was used as a searing grate right on top of the coals.