Shuley

Kamado pizza.... How I have missed you.

I got my Blackstone pizza oven as a gift for our anniversary this year in August and have had many pizza nights on it.  The pizza is fine, however no where near as good as on the KK.  There really is just no comparison, even though it is a lot quicker.  I made a bacon pineapple and a mushroom garlic blue cheese pizza. 0408181746.thumb.jpg.6643d2d4eff28d3673fec033a79cc97f.jpg

0408181755.thumb.jpg.bc2c8f11160c9b45c970661b1ad8f837.jpg0408181759.thumb.jpg.cc18c1cb61752622ec86e1afe9370125.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the pineapple one when it finished because the dome thermometer got it so it wasn't so attractive.... 

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be selling my Blackstone soon.  Should probably get rid of my sous video machine too.  Both things that cannot live up to kamado cooking. 

• Like 4

I picked up a Blackstone when Amazon and Walmart got into an algorithmic price war (you could see the price dropping online by the minute) and the price dropped to around $190. I like how quickly it preheats and the direct top heat, but I've struggled to get my crust to turn out anywhere near as well as it does with my KK and a Baking Steel. I suspect Ill pick up a WFO someday, but my Blackstone will likely be "excessed" to one of my kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

Should probably get rid of my sous video machine too.  Both things that cannot live up to kamado cooking.

NOOOOO! Don't get rid of the sous vide!! :smt018

I don't see it as competition for the KK, but a companion. Plus, there's lots of great things you can do SV that just aren't possible on a KK - completely different cooking techniques. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pequod said:

I picked up a Blackstone when Amazon and Walmart got into an algorithmic price war (you could see the price dropping online by the minute) and the price dropped to around $190. I like how quickly it preheats and the direct top heat, but I've struggled to get my crust to turn out anywhere near as well as it does with my KK and a Baking Steel. I suspect Ill pick up a WFO someday, but my Blackstone will likely be "excessed" to one of my kids.

I don't think a WFO is in my future but I was hoping for comparable results with less time with the Blackstone.  That is not the case so I don't see the point anymore lol. 

3 hours ago, tony b said:

NOOOOO! Don't get rid of the sous vide!! :smt018

I don't see it as competition for the KK, but a companion. Plus, there's lots of great things you can do SV that just aren't possible on a KK - completely different cooking techniques. 

58 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Shuley, those are some great looking pizzas. :smt060 I would not get rid of my sous vide. It has lots of great uses, in fact I'd like to have a second one.:)

I've had my SV for over two years and have probably used it less than 10 times.  A lot of people use them side by side, but I'm usually thinking that whatever I cooked would be better just on the kamado.  It's just not my thing. 

17 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

It has lots of great uses, in fact I'd like to have a second one.

I have 2 and a third one on order - the next gen Anova. I use my original Anova in my  brewing room for heating my strike water to the exact temperature that I need and can use the circulator with the heater turned off (set the temp really low) as my whirlpool for late hop additions and to help the chiller cool down the wort for pitching the yeast. 

@Shuley - I won't cook fried chicken any other way now. Best of both worlds - cook the chicken pieces until done in the SV, then batter and fry the chicken until nice and brown/crunchy in the cast iron skillet. Perfect! No more underdone chicken trying not to burn the crust or vice versa. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I have 2 and a third one on order - the next gen Anova. I use my original Anova in my  brewing room for heating my strike water to the exact temperature that I need and can use the circulator with the heater turned off (set the temp really low) as my whirlpool for late hop additions and to help the chiller cool down the wort for pitching the yeast. 

@Shuley - I won't cook fried chicken any other way now. Best of both worlds - cook the chicken pieces until done in the SV, then batter and fry the chicken until nice and brown/crunchy in the cast iron skillet. Perfect! No more underdone chicken trying not to burn the crust or vice versa. 

You might think less of me but...... I don't particularly like fried chicken. I'll eat if it someone is serving it, and it is ok, but I didn't grow up with it so I just don't care too much for it. 

I joke about the SV pizza, of course... but there are some that think SV is the answer to every question. And it's not. 

And I totally get that opinion about fried chicken, @Shuley I can skip the normal fried chicken, but I do like chicnek fingers. I've never made fried chicken or chicken fingers the 'traditional' way, but I tried making chicken fingers SV-style, and I'm with @tony b, it's a game changer.

SV isn't for everyone, and it does take some experimenting to find a time and temp that you like. If you love smoke flavor, you can still do it with SV, it just takes more work than it's probably worth.

Speaking of, I made SV corn on the cob for the first time the other night and it was really good... but I doubt I'll do it again. I bet the SV version would win in a taste test, but there are other ways to make it that are easier. 

• Like 2